Railroad Forums 

• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
 #1372803  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ebtmikado wrote:Washouts.

I was told that NECR has suffered two washouts between Palmer and Willimantic, and at present, trains (normally 608) cannot operate on this section.
I have no idea how severe the washouts are, or how long it will take to repair. But this leaves the customers on the southern end of the line without service.

Lee
They had 2 more between Brattleboro and Bellows Falls that resulted in multi-day cancellations on the Vermonter. It was those hellspawn downpours the other night coupled with the temps shooting up into the mid-60's during the height of the storms causing a flash snowmelt in any areas where there was sufficient snow cover. NECR took the worst hit by far, all up and down the mainline.
 #1372993  by duckpin

This would make sense (re: washouts). I live in Yantic, with the railroad quite literally in my backyard, and there have been very few trains to pass by this fall/winter. Now, granted, I work during the day, so perhaps they are going through while I am there. However, when I am home at this time, most of the trains feature four or five cars and that's it. It wasn't that many years ago where there would be two trains, one in the morning/afternoon and one around 11 p.m./3 a.m., that ran past during the week. Now it's few and far between, unfortunately.
 #1373239  by FLRailFan1

ebtmikado wrote:Can't promise I won't miss a few, but:

Willimantic Waste, Willi.
Providence & Worcester interchange, Willi.
CC Lounsbury, South Windham.
KofKoff, Franklin.
Limb-it-Less Logging, Franklin.
Freeport-McMoran, Norwichtown
Norwich Bulletin, Norwich.
UBS, Quaker Hill
State Pier, New London (at least 2 firms)
Amtrak/P&W Interchange, New London.

Lee
I thought another was on the old Midland Branch...a feed place...I heard Lebanon was thinking about an industrial park on the NECR...maybe they decided not to.
 #1373363  by Ridgefielder

FLRailFan1 wrote: I thought another was on the old Midland Branch...a feed place...I heard Lebanon was thinking about an industrial park on the NECR...maybe they decided not to.
The Midland's P&W territory, so far as I know.
 #1373593  by duckpin

FLRailFan1 wrote:I thought another was on the old Midland Branch...a feed place...I heard Lebanon was thinking about an industrial park on the NECR...maybe they decided not to.
What is the old Midland Branch? Is that the one that is off Stockhouse Road in Fitchville? I always hope that spur will be reused, but it has to have been about 40-50 years since it was last used.

Also, a train went past this afternoon ... two engines, pulling only two cars ...
 #1373653  by ebtmikado

duckpin wrote:What is the old Midland Branch? Is that the one that is off Stockhouse Road in Fitchville? I always hope that spur will be reused, but it has to have been about 40-50 years since it was last used.

Also, a train went past this afternoon ... two engines, pulling only two cars ...
The Midland is the former New Haven (Hartford, Providence & Fishkill) line that ran between Willimantic and Hartford. It was abandoned between Columbia and Manchester in 1970.
The CVRR Fitchville Branch was abandoned in 1980. There were plans a few years ago, of reactivation for bulk waste transfer, but the Fitchville NIMBYs put the kibosh on that.

Lee
 #1392889  by bk77

Greetings all,

I will be taking my yearly vaca. to northern VT next week and was wondering what "good" days or time of days would be to catch some NECR action in or out of St. Albans. I've usually been able to catch the CN in Alburgh coming down from Canada early-mid afternoon, except last year they never showed the day I went over there after waiting all afternoon. I was under the impression the 324/323 ran every day to/from Canada, but maybe only certain days? Also, any regular days the wood chip train runs down to Burlington?? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

---Bill K.
 #1407901  by Jeff Smith

Money money....: The Day
Construction to start soon on $12.8 million freight rail upgrades

Windham — A Central New England freight train rolled slowly forward on a track behind Main Street on Tuesday morning until it crashed through a banner stretched across the tracks that read “Bringing Modern Freight Rail Service to Connecticut.”

A crowd of more than 60 people cheered and waved to the conductor as he motored past the white VIP tent at the rear of the Windham Chamber of Commerce office.

What was called the “most unique” and the “awesomest” ribbon-cutting ceremony in the region marked the start of construction for a much-touted $12.8 million freight rail upgrade project for the Central New England line that runs from New London through Montville, Norwich, Franklin, Willimantic and on to the Massachusetts border. There, the line ties into other Central New England tracks that run north into Canada.

The upgrades, with construction expected to start in spring, will allow the tracks to carry 286,000 pounds of freight, up from the current limit of 263,000 pounds. The improvement is expected to invigorate freight traffic on the tracks, allowing numerous manufacturing plants along its rails — including some of Norwich's biggest taxpayers — to expand operations and bring more traffic to the Port of New London.
At the very end of the article there's a token reference to passenger service.
 #1407928  by dcm74

....A Central New England freight train....
Guess the reporter couldn't read the writing on the locomotive. I don't remember that the Central New England RR detoured via Windham on its way to the Poughkeepsie Bridge.
 #1413084  by thebigham

There were reports last week that the NECR had 100+ cars at the White River Jct. yard waiting to be moved north and/or south.

Have the cars been moved?

Good luck, P&W! lol

Pic from cjmdawg111.
Attachments:
(260.81 KiB) Downloaded 4162 times
 #1413207  by leviramsey

Is Massachusetts planning for some sort of revival of Amtrak service on the NECR?

From the decision on GWI's acquisition of the P&W
MassDOT states that it takes no position concerning the competition aspect of GWI’s petition, but it notes its interest in P&W continuing its current high standards of track maintenance under a GWI regime. It also indicates that service over a nearby GWI subsidiary line has deteriorated, leading to passenger train service disruption. (MassDOT Comment 1.) MassDOT seeks GWI’s assurance that the P&W merger “will not compromise or delay steps that GWI will need to take going forward to restore Amtrak service on another GWI railroad . . . .” (Id.) MassDOT, however, does not specifically ask the Board to impose any conditions.
MassDOT is obviously referring to the Vermonter north of the state line, but the only restoration of Amtrak service on a GWI railroad, especially one that's not P&W, that MassDOT might have an interest in would be Palmer-Amherst-Millers Falls (probably Boston - Worcester - Palmer - Amherst - Millers Falls).