Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1474507  by sullivan1985

ALP45DP 4515 wrote:
trainster78 wrote:I guess since we’ve managed to bring this old thread back, we can talk about why NJT is still keeping 4020 around..
Per the thread "PL42 4020", 4020 will be the first to go out for overhaul. Maybe one of the NJT confidants :wink: can help us?
steemtrayn wrote:I was told today that 4020 will be the first PL to be sent out for overhaul.Don't know when, or where.
Parts.
 #1506500  by pateljones

I believe only NJTransit bought this locomotive? I’m wondering why no other company bought PL42s. We’re they bad problem engines? Are they still in service?
 #1506529  by DutchRailnut

still in service , but poorly thought out most other commuter agencies have no use for them , as they are to high and do not have dual mode capability.
 #1506666  by pateljones

DutchRailnut wrote:still in service , but poorly thought out most other commuter agencies have no use for them , as they are to high and do not have dual mode capability.
Dutch, were they ever rebuilt? Can they be rebuilt or are there no parts because there is so few of these PL-42s.
 #1506730  by DutchRailnut

its EMD in a Alstom body .
 #1521251  by CNJGeep

pateljones wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 am Has any units gone out for rebuild? Any any rebuilds back to NJT?
Uhhhh. No.
 #1521359  by Dcell

NJT is buying Sprinter locomotives to replace the PL42ACs.
 #1521363  by ApproachMedium

Dcell wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 pm NJT is buying Sprinter locomotives to replace the PL42ACs.
every reason why i do not participate in the njt part of the forum anymore
 #1521433  by njtmnrrbuff

Guys, the PL42s aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They might be going through their midlife but they run fine. It doesn't say anything about replacing them.
 #1521591  by ALP45DP 4515

Dcell wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 pm NJT is buying Sprinter locomotives to replace the PL42ACs.
Not going to happen. If NJT were to buy anything to replace the PL42, it would be a BBD product and likely derivative of the ALP45DP. The PL42AC's are still relatively young in terms of a locomotive, not going anywhere anytime soon.
 #1521600  by EuroStar

ALP45DP 4515 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 pm
Not going to happen. If NJT were to buy anything to replace the PL42, it would be a BBD product and likely derivative of the ALP45DP. The PL42AC's are still relatively young in terms of a locomotive, not going anywhere anytime soon.
Thank you. Dcell has likely mixed up the following two replacements:
  1. NJT is replacing the geeps with ALP45DPs. The order has already been placed.
  2. Metro-North and Amtrak (and LIRR) are going to eventually replace the P32ACs with a dual mode version of the Charger by Siemens. That dual mode version is still on the drawing board.
Additional research revealed to me that the misinformation is widely spread, even the wikipedia article on the Metro-North Rolling stock claims that Metro-North has ordered 15 Chargers for use West of Hudson. The information is supposedly sourced from a youtube video of a MTA board meeting which I have not seen, but the person who stated this is likely very confused himself and appears to not even work for the MTA.
 #1521607  by Backshophoss

MN will be part of the 4 party order of dual mode Chargers(Amtrak,MN,ConnDOT,and LIRR)
There was no mention of Chargers for WOH services.
If there are plans for replacing the F-40's,they would be units that NJT has in their fleet,as none of the WOH fleet cycles the Harmon shop,
only MMC.
 #1521608  by DutchRailnut

Correct , replacing WofH power with Dual Modes would be pissing money up hill. no need for dual modes and no agreement to ever run WofH services into NYP.
 #1521609  by DutchRailnut

Keep in mind only postings about new power WofH were made by Commuter council member. Not by any MTA member .
there is currently no plan to replace WofH power as it was recently all overhauled.