Railroad Forums 

• Siemens SC-44 Charger Locomotive

• Discussion of Siemens Industry, Inc. Rail Solutions, including locomotives, rolling stock, servicing, automation, electrification, systems, etc. Website: Rail Solutions
Discussion of Siemens Industry, Inc. Rail Solutions, including locomotives, rolling stock, servicing, automation, electrification, systems, etc. Website: Rail Solutions

Moderator: Alcoman

#1354749  by DutchRailnut

several midwest states for Amtrak services plus MARC ordered a few.

http://www.siemens.com/press/en/pressre ... tm&content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[]=ICRL&content[]=MO

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1372873  by Allen Hazen

Thank you for posting that!
From a technical point of view, the photo of the truck (on p. 6) is perhaps the most interesting bit. Does the truck frame really angle downwards over the axle, or is that an artifact of the use of a wide-angle lens in taking the photo?
 #1372875  by DutchRailnut

not sure it looks like its tapered down to control weight , my interest is in muffler picture under the QSK95 diesel.
up till charger not many US diesels had any mufflers, the EMD's were not mufflers but manifolds to lead to one stack.
 #1372884  by NorthWest

Thanks for sharing!

I know that the final units will look far different from artist's renderings, but I really hope they rethink the paint scheme on the WSDOT units. The rendered scheme is so drab and lacks the visual interest of the current scheme.
 #1372954  by Fan Railer

The trucks used on both the ACS-64 and Charger locomotives are a derivative of the SF4 truck used on the Siemens Vectron.
 #1372992  by Allen Hazen

Joestrudel--
Thank you for posting the link to that brochure! From the drawings of the locomotive trucks (e.g. the one on page 7), it looks as if the ends of the truck frame DO taper over the axles, with the upper edge slanting downward (though the lower edge seems to be horizontal). Intuitively this makes sense from a weight vs needed strength point of view, but I don't think I had seen anything quite like it before!

Dutch--
Sorry, I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough to appreciate the mufflers! … Both EMD 710-engined locomotives and GE FDL-engined locomotives built for use in countries (UK, Australia) with stricter noise regulations than the U.S. have been built with mufflers. In the Australian types I am familiar with, the muffler extends more or less the whole length of the engine compartment, with the result that the EMD units have the final exhaust stack at the end of the engine AWAY from the generator, and the GE units have the external exhaust stack AT the generator end: very weird-looking to an American eye!
 #1377926  by Backshophoss

When does this unit wind up at Pueblo for testing?
There has not been any word on how the "Test Bed" unit on the Indiana RR has or has not been running. :( :( :(
 #1377930  by DutchRailnut

first two chargers are scheduled for testing in June at TTC.

as for the testbed freight unit, it can not run in revenue service till EPA certification is received , the test data went to EPA in February.