Railroad Forums 

• Train station at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport

• Discussion concerning the Alaska Railroad. Alaska Railways Website
Discussion concerning the Alaska Railroad. Alaska Railways Website

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1287898  by parovoz

Google Maps clearly show a passenger railroad station at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. I remember some talks back in the early 1990s about connecting the airport to the city. However, I could not find any recent information about the project. Does anyone know the status of the station?
 #1287923  by electricron

parovoz wrote:Google Maps clearly show a passenger railroad station at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. I remember some talks back in the early 1990s about connecting the airport to the city. However, I could not find any recent information about the project. Does anyone know the status of the station?
Per Wiki:
There is a rail station for the Alaska Railroad at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. It is only available during summer season for cruise ship service only.

Both Holland America and Princess Cruises lines operate tourist trains between Anchorage and Seward. Cruise line passengers sail a cruise ship north from Vancouver, B.C., disembark in Seward, ride the cruise lines trains to Anchorage and the airport, and fly back home - or vice versa. That's the purpose of the train station at the airport. Sorry, everyday airline passengers must use taxis, vans, buses, rentals to reach their final destination in Anchorage. There's only one other train station in Anchorage, which is used by Alaskan Railroad "intercity" trains, going towards Fairbanks, etc.
 #1300023  by Bartman-tn

Many of the cruise ships now go to Whittier instead of Seward, saving a day of sailing. This means a train or bus ride through the big tunnel instead of over the mountains from Seward. There are a number of pictures of the airport station from September 2013 online in various places. The NRHS convention operated a charter trip that included a run and photo stop on the line. The station is a two track complex with a covered high platform between the tracks. The station is a large waiting area attached to the airport.
 #1306360  by jogden

The airport station is one of the most modern stations on Alaska Railroad, and it is one of the least used.

The only trains that go there regularly are the cruise line charters that operate out of Seward. Holland America, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean charter that train. The cruise ship charters that operate out of Whittier generally stop downtown to swap crew, and then continue north, to either McKinley or Denali Park. Occasionally the airport depot gets used for something else, but it is pretty rare! The railroad rents out the depot space for events though, if you ever wanted to have a birthday at a train station! ;)