Railroad Forums 

• CNJ West Side Avenue Station

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1022453  by oldrow51

Looking for a little information on the CNJ station on West Side Avenue in Jersey CIty. Was service stopped on this line when the bridge over the Hackensack was damaged? When was the station demolshed. Thanks.
 #1022478  by bellstbarn

I cannot provide a date, but Dad brought me on the train that ran between Communipaw and West Side Avenue when it was a mere shuttle or scoot, after the bridge was lost. My memory, perhaps faulty, is that the camel-back led west. Returning, a trainman gave signals from the "rear" vestibule by the air hose. We went under Jackson Avenue, without a grade crossing! I would never have imagined the present service, one-person, low-floor, proof-of-payment. No camel-backs.
Joe
 #1025759  by ExCon90

FWIW, a 1950 Official Guide shows the service gone by that date (it still shows service from Newark to Kearny, so I assume it would show service from West Side Ave. to Jersey City if it were still operating). It seems likely that the West Side Ave. shuttle lasted only as long as it took the CNJ to jump through the necessary regulatory hoops to get the train off.
 #1210390  by oldrow51

I know that the CNJ continued to use the line in Jersey City after the bridge was damaged to deliver freight to the businesses along the west side of Jersey City. I've seen some pictures of this but not many. Does anyone know where I might find more? I have all the of the Morning Sun Books, but even they only provide one or two photos of that side of the business.