Railroad Forums 

• Remaining CNJ stations in Pennsylvania

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#899722  by OCtrainguy

I have the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society 2011 calendar as was going through the months for a project at work. I saw the photo of the two SD35s sandwiching a SD40 in Wilkes-Barre and it got me wondering about other CNJ stations in Pennsylvania. Aside from Bethlehem, Jim Thorpe and the freight station in Scranton, what other CNJ stations are still standing in Pennsylvania? I am not sure about the one in Allentown, as I forget if that's CNJ or LV.
 #899750  by 56-57

The Allentown station still standing is the CNJ one. Also standing are Palmerton, Northampton and Siegfried (the other end of Northampton).

This brings us to (and I can think of no others standing in PA)

Bethlehem (freight and passenger both standing)
Allentown (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Siegfried
Northampton
Palmerton
Jim Thorpe (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Wilkes-Barre (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Scranton (freight house standing, passenger gone)

-Micah
 #899788  by tgolanos

Isnt't there a tourist railway that uses the CNJ station in Jim Thorpe, or did they build their own station?
 #899850  by 56-57

The Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway added a ticket booth under the station canopy in Jim Thorpe, however the property and trackage are owned by the county.

-Micah
 #899894  by OCtrainguy

That's good to know. I have photos of the stations in Bethlehem, the one in Allentown, Jim Thorpe and Scranton. Will have to get photos of the others the next time I head to Jim Thorpe and Scranton.
 #941288  by OCtrainguy

56-57 wrote:The Allentown station still standing is the CNJ one. Also standing are Palmerton, Northampton and Siegfried (the other end of Northampton).

This brings us to (and I can think of no others standing in PA)

Bethlehem (freight and passenger both standing)
Allentown (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Siegfried
Northampton
Palmerton
Jim Thorpe (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Wilkes-Barre (passenger standing, freight house gone)
Scranton (freight house standing, passenger gone)

-Micah
I will be heading to Jim Thorpe the first weekend in July and up to Scranton over Labor Day weekend. I'd like to make time to see the stations in those areas during my trips. Not being familiar with some of the areas where a CNJ station still stands, I was wondering if you knew, or could help point me, to at least the street names where the stations are.
 #941449  by 56-57

The station in Thorpe is smack-dab along route 209 downtown. You can't miss it.

The Scranton freight station is across the Lackawanna River from Steamtown. It's a an imposing rambling building with something of a conical front. You can't miss that one either. I do believe it still has 'Central Railroad of New Jersey (with New Jersey noticeably painted over 'Pennsylvania') painted on it. If you're accessing Steamtown from I-81, it'll be across the bridge and to your middle-right when you're about to make the left to the Steamtown access road/parking lot.

-Micah
 #941544  by OCtrainguy

Sorry, I wasn't more specific in I'd also like to see the Siegfried, Northampton, Palmerton and Wilkes-Barre stations as well. I figure since I'd be up the in the area, I could check out those stations in well. Again, sorry as I wasn't specific enough.
 #941559  by 56-57

I can find them all. I just don't have streetnames down..

The WB station is right along Wilkes-Barre Blvd, which is on the cnj row through downtown Wilkes Barre.

The Palmerton station is private property, but from 248 coming into Palmerton, make the first left you can, you'll pass under the first of two NJ Zinc/Chestnut Ridge bridges. To the left will be a gate and/or fence. The station will be visible, but that's as close as you can legally get.

One of the other two, either Siegfried or Northampton, is within sight of where Route 329 crosses NS in Northampton. The other station is in the same town, just further south on the same piece of railroad.

If you can find the downtowns, you can usually find the stations.

-Micah
 #941660  by OCtrainguy

56-57 wrote:I can find them all. I just don't have streetnames down..

The WB station is right along Wilkes-Barre Blvd, which is on the cnj row through downtown Wilkes Barre.

The Palmerton station is private property, but from 248 coming into Palmerton, make the first left you can, you'll pass under the first of two NJ Zinc/Chestnut Ridge bridges. To the left will be a gate and/or fence. The station will be visible, but that's as close as you can legally get.

One of the other two, either Siegfried or Northampton, is within sight of where Route 329 crosses NS in Northampton. The other station is in the same town, just further south on the same piece of railroad.

If you can find the downtowns, you can usually find the stations.

-Micah
Terrific, thank you very much Micah! This is a great help. I can take Route 248 on my from Jim Thorpe toward Allentown to get to I-78. I'll check on getting maps from the internet on the other station areas. Thanks again.

Stephen
 #1348606  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Siegrfried is on the western end of Northampton by the cement plant. The Northampton station is on the eastern end of town behind the VFW.
I was at both Wilkes-Barre and Scranton today. Both are empty. Wilkes Barre is getting hit by vandals pretty hard. The cars in back have had their windows smashed. The wooden caboose is literally falling apart. There are FOR SALE signs at the station. Really hope someone buys it and preserves it.
Really cool comparing old pictures to what is there now. Stegmaier brewery building is still across the street. The street (Wilkes Barre Blvd.) was actually the CNJ main.I haven't been to Wilkes Barre in probably almost 15 years but still remember my way around,even though so much has changed.
Scranton was another fun comparison.Using landmarks that are actually still there I could pinpoint where certain photos were taken. So much has changed though. Oh. to have seen it in its heyday. Quick stop at Steamtown to get 1554. Sitting idle hooked up to one o D-Ls RS 3s. Was hoping to see it possibly switching around the yard but not a train was moving. Big units were gone ,possibly headed east.