Railroad Forums 

• CNJ "Lily of the Valley"

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#796465  by John Johnstone

NJC's "Lily of the Valley" used to run from Newark to Harrisburg via Franklin St. Station in Reading. When did this train cease to operate and why? Did it end before or after Reading's Harrisburg service ended and I'm wondering when Reading's Harrisburg Station closed?
 #796569  by 56-57

It was the 'Queen of the Valley, was a joint CNJ/RDG train, and didn't survive the closing of the CNJ's Jersey City Terminal in 1967, so it never ran out of Newark. It basically was the RDG's Harrisburg service by the time it was annulled, and it stopped running once the Post Office dropped the RPO, as that was what kept it in the black (like so many other trains at that time).

I can only speculate that the end of the Queen of the Vally/Harrisburger also brought the end to the RDG's Harrisburg station, I honestly don't know.

MJK
 #797671  by 56-57

John Johnstone wrote:Thanks for responding - I learned from the RDG posts that service ended in '63. John
Actually, so did I.. The CNJ portion did continue running JC-Allentown till '67 though.. Details details..

MJK
 #797790  by Ken W2KB

56-57 wrote:
John Johnstone wrote:Thanks for responding - I learned from the RDG posts that service ended in '63. John
Actually, so did I.. The CNJ portion did continue running JC-Allentown till '67 though.. Details details..

MJK
Ah! That's why I recall the destination board with the train name still in use in 1966 or so, at Jersey City Terminal.