Railroad Forums 

• How many different paint schemes for CNJ pax service?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#765266  by GSC

I remember the dark green with yellow side strips and V stripes on the ends, dark green without the nose stripes, "Red Baron" on a couple GP7s and RS3s, and the blue and gold B&O color scheme on the GP40s. Passenger cars had been dark green, and later dark blue with gold letter boards (almost a Blue Comet re-creation).

The Babyfaces had been something other than green as well, but I don't really remember what the scheme was. Somebody out there older than me might know.
 #765335  by Ken W2KB

GSC wrote:I remember the dark green with yellow side strips and V stripes on the ends, dark green without the nose stripes, "Red Baron" on a couple GP7s and RS3s, and the blue and gold B&O color scheme on the GP40s. Passenger cars had been dark green, and later dark blue with gold letter boards (almost a Blue Comet re-creation).

The Babyfaces had been something other than green as well, but I don't really remember what the scheme was. Somebody out there older than me might know.
The Babyfaces were originally tangerine (upper half) and blue below. Later they were painted in the green with two gold stripes scheme. I don't recall ever seeing the first scheme other than on the repainted F3s acquired for the NJ historical collection from Maine, which was very interesting to me, as it let me see what I had missed.
 #765583  by CAR_FLOATER

Pick up either the 3-issue ARHS article on CNJ diesel paint schemes, or Gerard E. Burnett's out of print Jersey Central Diesels. These will give you pretty much the down-low on every scheme with dates.

CF
 #765886  by Steve F45

CAR_FLOATER wrote:Pick up either the 3-issue ARHS article on CNJ diesel paint schemes, or Gerard E. Burnett's out of print Jersey Central Diesels. These will give you pretty much the down-low on every scheme with dates.

CF
Thanks, i'll see if I can pick it up thru the library.
 #766757  by GSC

Some Trainmasters were painted just plain green, with no stripes.
 #766951  by Ken W2KB

GSC wrote:Some Trainmasters were painted just plain green, with no stripes.
I think they were originally painted with the stripes and later they were repainted solid, probably as a cost saving measure. Not certain, though.
 #767251  by GSC

Later in life a few were all green, obviously a repaint. I think it was 2408 I saw most of the time in that scheme.

If Steve F45 is modeling a FM H-16-44, don't forget the CNJ Liberty logo on the art deco "hood" over the headlights.
 #781229  by kilroy

The Babyfaces were originally tangerine (upper half) and blue below.
For the double enders, the first three were delivered as described with a red stripe between the Tangerine and Blue. The second order of three did not have the red stripe and had the roof painted balck (as the units made their roofs on the first three black in no time from the exhaust).

All were painted Seafoam later.
 #795096  by GSC

Curious to know that if the CNJ survived, what color scheme would be in place now. A coin toss between Red Baron and blue & gold, I'd say, with stainless or aluminum pax cars, probably Arrows.