Railroad Forums 

• CNJ FM Trainmasters

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#701816  by Pinewald Station

Were any painted or repainted in the orange and blue color scheme? A lot of pics are in B&W but show the green and gold stripes.

Mike
 #702180  by Earle Baldwin

No Train Masters were painted in the blue and tangerine scheme; however, some four motor F-M road switchers wore these colors. In 1956, Lionel catalogued its 2341 model of the H24-66 decorated in the blue and tangerine scheme worn by several classes of cab units. The release of this model helped perpetuate the myth at least some prototype TM's were painted as such. They were not. Inaccuracies notwithstanding, over the decades the 2341 evolved to become one of the premier collector pieces issued during Lionel's glory years.

I hope this helps.

Earle
 #702191  by Pinewald Station

Every pic I looked at was green or black(?) and some had the gold stripes but didn't see the blue and tangerine scheme. Thanks for the info. BTW MTH still makes a train in those colors!
 #702202  by GSC

I grew up next to the NY&LB and I saw TMs each and every day. All were either green with yellow stripes (V-stripes on both ends), or a very dark green. I loved those things, they were the biggest things running back in their day. When accelerating, they seemed to shift a "gear" or two as they gained speed. Deep rumbling exhaust, they were monsters to a kid like me. Very pleasing to the eye too, "pretty", heavy-looking, they LOOKED powerful!
 #702245  by Earle Baldwin

GSC:

I can relate. I, too, grew up along the NY&LB. I always enjoyed seeing the CNJ trains with up to sixteen cars being pulled by one Train Master whereas shorter PRR trains often had three E-units which, to a young trackside observer, did not convey the image of brute force the TM's did. The Train Master was capable of rapid acceleration with a heavy load, making the locomotive well suited for commuter operation.

Pinewald:

The O gauge blue and tangerine Train Master remains popular to this day. MTH, Williams and Lionel have all offered it in recent years.
 #702252  by GSC

When I first noticed different styles of power, I was maybe 5 ot 6, I could pick out what was coming just by the sound of the exhaust. I didn't know a GP7 from a HH-6-24, as far as what they were called, but I knew CNJ's Geep, Trainmaster, Baby Trainmaster, and PRR E-units, a couple of PA1s that lasted there, and Sharknoses. CNJ units all had low-pitched one-note horns, the Pennsy power had five-chimes.

Earle, you are right about the power of the TMs, towing 16 cars with ease. As time went on, I often wondered why NJT would haul three-car Bay Head locals with GP40s and F40s, so much power wasted.

Thanks to Fairbanks-Morse power, I discovered bi-directional operations. One day the cab is toward the front, next time to the rear. I was all of kindergarten age at the time! Even my father didn't know these things, I was so proud of myself.
 #702257  by Pinewald Station

I was amazed to see FM is still in business. I love the old TMs but don't think I ever saw any during my limited sightings (darn). Did any CNJ TMs survive? Thanks for sharing guys!

Mike
 #702270  by Earle Baldwin

Regrettably, no CNJ Train Masters were preserved. In fact, the sole remaining largely intact H24-66 is the CP 8905 in a Canadian museum. Except for its traction motors, the locomotive is reported to be complete.

I took a liking to the Train Master at a very early age. This was due in large part to the Lionel Lackawanna TM which was our O gauge railroad's premier locomotive. :-D
 #702393  by Earle Baldwin

Pinewald:

CNJ did not roster the six motor H16-66 which is the unit appropriately known as the "Baby Train Master." The H15 and H16-44, which CNJ operated, are also often referred to as Baby TM's but this is incorrect.

Here's an interesting story: CNJ apparently intended to keep its Train Masters following delivery of the GP40P's which were acquired to replace them in passenger service. Despite the difficulties inherent in maintaining their opposed piston prime movers, CNJ's TM's were reportedly in good mechanical order so the railroad wanted to retain them for freight service. Unfortunately, due to the company's precarious financial situation, the bankruptcy court ordered CNJ to dispose of them. It is fun to speculate how many additional years of service the locomotives might have given before finally being replaced. :-D
 #702581  by Pinewald Station

There is a web page with all the CNJ diesels listed..have to reread it.
I have a book called The Railroads of Monmouth County and in there they refer to "BAby TMs" several times....great book though, pictures and captions.
 #702594  by Ken W2KB

Pinewald Station wrote:There is a web page with all the CNJ diesels listed..have to reread it.
I have a book called The Railroads of Monmouth County and in there they refer to "BAby TMs" several times....great book though, pictures and captions.
I also have heard them referred to as 'baby' many times over the years. Remember the CNJ well from growing up in Bayonne in the 60s.
 #702646  by GSC

Is the book "Railroads Of Monmouth County" still in print? Love to have a copy.
 #702670  by Earle Baldwin

"Railroads of Monmouth County" is currently in print. I saw it for sale at the Borders Eatontown store the other day. It is a great book and I recommend it highly. Pick up a copy at your earliest opportunity - you will not be disappointed. That said, accurate diesel identification is evidently not among the authors' strong points. In addition to referring to the four motor F-M road switchers as Baby Train Masters, I recall a number of captions in which E7's were identified as E8's.
 #703097  by Pinewald Station

GSC wrote:Is the book "Railroads Of Monmouth County" still in print? Love to have a copy.
You can buy it cheap on Amazon, Gary. Got it for like $12 shipped. I buy a lot of "used" books that look new on the cheap. Great book as Earle pointed out. Even a pic of the CNJ about to head south on the Barnegat Branch in Lakehurst.....If need be you can borrow mine ...Mike