Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Timber (Artifact) Question

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#694039  by TheBaran

I had an impromptu tour of an old barn in Clark and the owner noted that the barn contained some railroad artifacts. The artifacts turned out to be some salvaged timbers that the original farmers (when building the barn) apparently bought from, or were provided by, the Central Railroad of New Jersey. There are two timbers that are used for horizontal bracing on each end wall. Each timber is large (approximately 8 (or 10) inches by 8 (or 10) inches and 20 to 25 feet long). The timbers have a smooth finish with “C R R of N J” printed in large black letters across one side. It appears that one timber has a “MW Mechanical” printing on one side; the other timber has what appears to be an orange circle, contained within a larger white circle (it was getting dark so the details were hard to see).

The current owner consulted a local historian, but that person has little railroad knowledge. The barn itself is thought to have served as a “station” for the Underground Railroad. As such, the barn is very old and the timbers likely very old and may represent salvaged material when the CNJ was upgrading their physical plant early on. The owner is interested in local history and was very accommodating in giving me a tour. I will likely head back there as my daughter is taking tennis lessons from his neighbor.

Given the (minimal) description and markings, any idea as to the possible origin of the timbers (i.e., old fright house) that I can provide to him?

Thank you.
 #694049  by Ken W2KB

I have a vague recollection of seeing very old photos (1800's) with CRRNJ freight cars painted with the circle device as you described, except they were black and white photos so colors unknown.
 #694481  by GSC

Too narrow and too long for crossties. I'm thinking they might be general-duty lumber, for cribbing, leveling, etc., and lettered for CRRofNJ to keep them from walking away.

I have a seven-gallon wooden barrel that once held white paint, and the bottom is covered with CRRofNJ stenciled lettering showing just who it belonged to.