Railroad Forums 

• CNJ Flemington branch

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#583910  by pierrerabbit

I grew up in Flagtown, NJ along the Flemington Branch of the CNJ. Anyone know of any books or videos that show this branch when it was active? My last memory was an RS3 passing through town at walking speed, (maybe 1975??). Not much left of the ROW in town, (pretty much a bike path). But there is still a really cool old tunnel near Neshanic where the Lehigh Line crosses over.

Curious too about where the line passed through the Duke Estate in Hillsborough. Did estate guards ride with the train?
 #584194  by limejuice

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that this was always referred to by the CNJ as the "South Branch". It was originally the South Branch Railroad, as it follows the Raritan River's south branch.
 #585206  by Ken W2KB

pierrerabbit wrote:I grew up in Flagtown, NJ along the Flemington Branch of the CNJ. Anyone know of any books or videos that show this branch when it was active? My last memory was an RS3 passing through town at walking speed, (maybe 1975??). Not much left of the ROW in town, (pretty much a bike path). But there is still a really cool old tunnel near Neshanic where the Lehigh Line crosses over.

Curious too about where the line passed through the Duke Estate in Hillsborough. Did estate guards ride with the train?
Keep in mind, too, that the portion of the branch from Flemington to Three Rivers is still an active freight line, the Black River & Western Railroad. The CNJ Flemington passenger station was restored to essentially its original appearance by a bank a couple years ago.
 #585230  by pierrerabbit

Thanks, I know of the BRW, I used to work weekends on the track crew.

The station in Neshanic Station is also in good shape, although the current owners picked some strange colors.
 #585249  by CarterB

Until when, if ever, did the CNJ run passenger or commuter trains from Flemington?
 #585263  by pierrerabbit

Not sure of exact dates, but I think they hauled passengers between Flemington and Somerville (connection to the Raritan Valley Line) from the 1880's (?) to around 1953 (?)
 #586005  by Jtgshu

Having been there for the first time yesterday, at Neshanic Station, the station does look nice, however, the two brand new houses build on the ROW across the street from the station was a sad sight :(

I guess they can scrap that bridge that was removed and placed on the ROW over the road right next to river now. :(

Its just a shame to see ROWs built upon. You never know what is going to happen in the future, but on the other hand, you never know maybe those houses would get a wrecking ball! (or moved)
 #586027  by pierrerabbit

I know what you mean about the two new houses in Neshanic. If my memory is correct, there was a small yard located where the two houses are. The bridge as you can see, is not safe to even walk on. Then again, it wasn't safe even when they still used it. I remember the ties being bad back in the 70's. I hear the train crew would tip toe across the bridge (fingers crossed), sometimes with tank cars of nasty stuff for a plastics plant in Flemington. I can't believe nothing ever fell into the river.

In my hometown (one village away) Flagtown, there is a fairly new home built on the ROW, on Clawson Avenue. I read somewhere that long ago, there was a Flagtown station, and I think it was located on the spot of that house. I haven't been able to find any pictures or history of it though.

Good memories, though, while growing up. When we heard the horn, we knew the train was moving at a snails pace, so we could leisurely ride our bikes to the neighborhood crossing.
 #586047  by Ken W2KB

pierrerabbit wrote:Thanks, I know of the BRW, I used to work weekends on the track crew.
It needs you back on the curve north of the South Branch River bridge. :wink:
 #586140  by pierrerabbit

Ken - "Goat Curve" is to be replaced later this fall, from what I have read. There is a $350K grant from the state for the project, and right now the job is out for bid.

The BRW/Bel Del hasn't had an actual track dept in years, the work is done by a contractor. Most of the track gang were weekend warriors, (like myself), railfans (some wouldn't admit it), why else would we be doing such back breaking work for $10 an hour? It was a great bunch of guys, and we actually did good work, could put in a lot of wood in a day.

pete
 #586143  by pierrerabbit

If anyone is interested in checking out the tunnel (where the lehigh line crosses the Flem branch), start in Neshanic Station on Elm St, cross the white bridge going east (the high bridge is on the left, the CNJ bridge on the right). At the stop, turn right, then left onto Mill lane. The old ROW is on your right. Continue under the NS bridge (MP44 on the Lehigh Line). Then try to find a parking spot, and start hiking. If you time it right, you could probably get a nice shot of a NS eastbound crossing over top of the tunnel.

pete
 #598973  by carajul

From what I was told, the CNJ branch from Somerville to Flemington was abandoned due to that bridge being too dangerous to use and too expensive to repair. I was also told the CNJ re-routed traffic via the LV off the branch due to safety of the bridge. I think the branch was briefly operated by the BR&W after CNJ went bye bye but with no customers along the line and the bridge danger, they moved to the current NS set up.
 #719442  by dlagrua

I live in Hillsborough and am familar with the CNJ Flemington line. The line originated in Somerville NJ. Frieght trains would always be part of the busy ( and large) frieght yard in Somerville and the passenger train that was on this line would come right up to the CNJ mainline tracks. There was an underground walkway tunnel that connected the mainline station and the station of the branch line. It is still there today. From Somerville trains would head SW across RT 206 then over a river bridge and on through Dukes estate. There were sidings that ran to the two GSA depots and the line would continue to Flagtown ( passenger station was there) then it made its way into a long cut and came out of it and ran over Pleasant Run Rd and the river bridge to Neshanic Station. There was a passenger station there (still remains) and CNJ freight serviced a lumber and coal yard and a plastics plant not far away . From there the line would continue through Three Bridges (station there) and then on to Flemngton. I believe the line may have at one continued past Flemington to Ringoes and Lambertville where it met up with the PRR.
Much of the ROW is still in existence and can easily be seen and walked in most spots. I too heard the story of the deteriorating Neshanic bridge being the cause of the abandonment of the line in 1957 but as of 2009 it is still standing.
 #719688  by Ken W2KB

dlagrua wrote:I live in Hillsborough and am familar with the CNJ Flemington line. The line originated in Somerville NJ. Frieght trains would always be part of the busy ( and large) frieght yard in Somerville and the passenger train that was on this line would come right up to the CNJ mainline tracks. There was an underground walkway tunnel that connected the mainline station and the station of the branch line. It is still there today. From Somerville trains would head SW across RT 206 then over a river bridge and on through Dukes estate. There were sidings that ran to the two GSA depots and the line would continue to Flagtown ( passenger station was there) then it made its way into a long cut and came out of it and ran over Pleasant Run Rd and the river bridge to Neshanic Station. There was a passenger station there (still remains) and CNJ freight serviced a lumber and coal yard and a plastics plant not far away . From there the line would continue through Three Bridges (station there) and then on to Flemngton. I believe the line may have at one continued past Flemington to Ringoes and Lambertville where it met up with the PRR.
Much of the ROW is still in existence and can easily be seen and walked in most spots. I too heard the story of the deteriorating Neshanic bridge being the cause of the abandonment of the line in 1957 but as of 2009 it is still standing.
Nice description. The Somerville tunnel and platforms may not be there for long. The contractor constructing the new high level platforms very recently removed all the slate from the roofs of both mainline shelters and the tunnel exit shelter for the branch.