Railroad Forums 

• CNJ 113 to steam in 2010?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#567160  by afboone

Looks like CNJ 113 will be under steam this year. They got a grant to finish the work.
 #635657  by Pinewald Station

see page 8 of te feb 09 issue of Railfan and Railroad magazine.....sorry no web link.....
 #643198  by afboone

Quote from Jersey steam on the RYPN:
The locomotive boiler has been reflued and retubed. All staybolts are installed and we are waiting for winter to break so that the superheater units can be tested and to hydro the boiler. If it goes well, steamup should follow shortly. This has taken years to reach this point and wouldn't have been possible without the efforts of many people.

The Project is 95% funded and due to that the fact that material costs have escalated, we have secured some funds to cover this shortfall and we are seeking any finantial help to finally get the 113 operating. We are a nonprofit 501 (C) 3 corporation making all contributions tax deductable. Please send contributions to RRProject 113, 113 E. Sunbury St., Minersville, PA 17954.

Any questions email us at [email protected] or call the station at 570-544-8300.
 #834790  by mst145

#835528  by 56-57

Just to add something to this, and if I'm incorrect, please let me know..

When I visited the site in 08 one of the things mentioned to me was that by that date, no running gear work had been done to the engine.. To that point all work had been done above the frame.. I'm sure the engine will steam soon, reports are indicating that point is nearing, but when it moves itself is another subject altogether. With the crew there who've been working on it for the past (nearly) two decades, I'm sure when it does run it will run right and well, but unless running gear work has been done in the meantime, then I don't see it pulling photo freights around just yet.

-Micah
 #850147  by bigjim4life

Copied and pasted from another forum:

"On Thursday, September 9, and Friday, September 10 CNJ 113 had her Federal hydro and internal inspections and all reports received indicate that she passed.

Bernie Perch"

:-D :-D :-D
 #866804  by afboone

From RYPN:
CNJ 113 was successfully fired up to 100 lbs. pressure today. We raised the pressure very slowly and were happy to reach this milestone. Once up to that pressure we serenaded the neighorhood with whistle and bell "music". The clean burning anthracite was just that, although a little difficult to get used to firing.

There is much more to go to get her completely together and running but she is "alive" again.

Bernie
 #876952  by daylight4449

afboone wrote:From RYPN:
CNJ 113 was successfully fired up to 100 lbs. pressure today. We raised the pressure very slowly and were happy to reach this milestone. Once up to that pressure we serenaded the neighorhood with whistle and bell "music". The clean burning anthracite was just that, although a little difficult to get used to firing.

There is much more to go to get her completely together and running but she is "alive" again.

Bernie
ya, she needs jacketing, lagging, and some paint for the engine. that's about it, unless they decide to put on roller bearrings so she can go over the road