Railroad Forums 

• Abandonment of Raritan Branch (Edison, NJ)?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#387149  by TIGERFRED

hello-

I grew up in Edison, NJ. According to historical maps, the train line which ran near my house was the Raritan Branch of the LVRR. Any idea when this was abandoned? Not sure if it was used post-Conrail!

#389123  by CAR_FLOATER

It was in service at least up until 1972, see -

http://www.lvrrmodeler.net/ny_branch.htm

Look for the entry for the Greensand Branch. Apparently the Raritan Branch got this name in later years. My 1917 track map shows two branches off the Raritan Branch, Keasbey's Branch and Warners Branch. At least three narrow guage clay pit railroads also crossed this branch at one time. I know that most of the track is still in, even out in Nixon and Greensand, though it's all but burried.

CF

#389449  by TIGERFRED

CF-

Thanx for that update. Most, if not all, of those companies in Greensand (now known as Heller Park), are gone. Benzol Products was one of my Little League sponsers!

How can I see an online copy of that 1917 map?

#389732  by CAR_FLOATER

Fred -

Glad I could help......Unfortunately, my 1917 map is way too big to scan, and fragile at best.

CF

#389978  by TIGERFRED

thanx for your help!

#390006  by David Hutchinson

I grew up in Metuchen and used to go down to the Perth Amboy Branch main during the early 1960's. I have posted info before, I think under the NJ Railfan thread, regarding ops on this branch. I was mentioning the operations to Camp Kilmer, the tower located in Metuche, etc., if you can do a search and locate. I have some maps.... I think I even have the official LV track diagrams somewhere in my stuff. Send me a private e-mail with your snail mail address and I'll respond.

#390007  by David Hutchinson

I grew up in Metuchen and used to go down to the Perth Amboy Branch main during the early 1960's. I have posted info before, I think under the NJ Railfan thread, regarding ops on this branch. I was mentioning the operations to Camp Kilmer, the tower located in Metuche, etc., if you can do a search and locate. I have some maps.... I think I even have the official LV track diagrams somewhere in my stuff. Send me a private e-mail with your snail mail address and I'll respond.

#390008  by David Hutchinson

I grew up in Metuchen and used to go down to the Perth Amboy Branch main during the early 1960's. I have posted info before, I think under the NJ Railfan thread, regarding ops on this branch. I was mentioning the operations to Camp Kilmer, the tower located in Metuchen, etc., if you can do a search and locate. I have some maps.... I think I even have the official LV track diagrams somewhere in my stuff. Send me a private e-mail with your snail mail address and I'll respond.

#390484  by TIGERFRED

will do-thanx!!
 #842741  by green_elite_cab

I'm bumping this thread,

does anyone know what that smokestack used to belong to that is visible just past Exit 9 on the turnpike (as you cross the "Basilone" bridge)? the factory it belonged to has been torn down sometime past 1940, according to photographs on HistoricAreials.com (it was a concrete pad with a smokestack in the 1947 photos) . The ruins are still there, but they are hard to see through the trees except for the smokestack.

It looks like there used to be a lot of rail service into it, and i've always been dying to know what it is.