Railroad Forums 

• New Hope Branch

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#300390  by RDGAndrew

Also, modelers, take a tip from that spur and fill the empty space inside your curving track with a softball field!

#300508  by JimBoylan

RDGAndrew wrote:I heard that there was a management change at Conte Luna.
Earlier in the previous century, the place was know as La Rosa Spaghetti, and also used box cars for in and out shipments. Some NHIR 40 foot boxcars were used in 1978.

#300940  by jfrey40535

I don't remember seeing the switch being taken out, but then again I don't get to Warminster as often as I used to.

All of this is very interesting, so everyone keep posting!

#302985  by jfrey40535

By the way, starting this Saturday through the end of October, NHIR will be running diesel passenger trains from New Hope to Warminster. Great chance to ride the New Hope Branch in its entirety, or to get some neat pics of the meets with ex-Reading Silverliners at Warminster station.

#303293  by chuchubob

jfrey40535 wrote:By the way, starting this Saturday through the end of October, NHIR will be running diesel passenger trains from New Hope to Warminster. Great chance to ride the New Hope Branch in its entirety, or to get some neat pics of the meets with ex-Reading Silverliners at Warminster station.
That's Saturdays and Sundays in October. NH&I trains leave Warminster at 10:30 and 1:15 and New Hope at noon and 3 PM.

#429167  by m2116x6

Did the Reading ever have a turntable along the line near Ivyland at Bristol Road? I was talking to someone today who mentioned that he had been told of a turntable near Bristol Road. I know of the former station there, and the engine house building which still stands, but no turntable.

Thanks,
Jim

#429211  by JimBoylan

The turntable laying up-side-down West of the tracks, and South of Bristol Rd. came from Atlantic City. The Ivyland turntable pit is North of the Passing siding and West of the track, South of the creek. It had only one lead, from the North end of the passing siding. The "engine house" is probably Wm. Hobensack Sons' coal trestle, on the West side of the tracks North of the creek bridge and South of Bristol Rd. Its last car of coal was one of the 1st cars hauled in 1966 after the Reading sold the line. I think the trestle behind Wm. Hobensack Sons' office near Wilson Ave. was used for other commodities. I didn't know that the Ivyland station building survived past the 1950s.

#429372  by m2116x6

I see where the turntable pit is now. Do you know when it was installed or abandoned? What was the purpose of the turntable from Atlantic City?

Thanks for the info! This brings to mind another question on another possible Reading turntable. Rather than highjack this thread I'll post a new one in the morning after I can look at an old map for the date.

#429526  by JimBoylan

Ivyland turntable was probably built in 1875 with the line, and abandoned about 1931, when commuter service was cut back to Hatboro and electrified. The Atlantic City turntable was bought to serve 1533, 40, and other New Hope & Ivyland steam engines. It may not fit any of the 3 pits at New Hope.

#429786  by m2116x6

On old aerial views, it looks like the other two turntables on this branch are Wycombe, across from the station and New Hope behind the current shop??

Thanks
Jim

#429996  by JimBoylan

I don't think there was a turntable at Wycombe, it doesn't show on any old plans I've seen. Besides the pit in back of the New Hope shop, there is one next to it inside the shop. There may have been a 3rd pit North or South of these 2.
 #490188  by m2116x6

Are there any track charts of the New Hope branch showing crossings, sidings (former and current), etc?

I've been toying with the idea of modeling this branch in HO scale.

Thanks,
Jim

#490943  by JimBoylan

I do have most of those maps, papers, and plans, and am trying to find a good home for them.

#505245  by limejuice

JimBoylan wrote:I do have most of those maps, papers, and plans, and am trying to find a good home for them.
Hi Jim,
I was looking back there for the old turntable pit and the A.C. turntable. I know where I missed the old pit, but couldn't find any trace of the A.C. turntable. Do you know if it is still there, and if so, where it is? Perhaps I need to look harder. If you still need a home for those plans, I would be interested. I worked for the NHRR from '04 to '06 and had been the signal maintainer among various other things. I found the information you posted regarding the old telephone lines pretty interesting. You seem to be a fountain of rare information about the line.

#505412  by BuddSilverliner269

Hey Limejuice we just missed eash other at the NHIR. I worked there from 99-01.Now we are both SEPTOIDS. Haha. I have never ever noticed any turntables in Ivyland or anywhere else along the ROW that came from Atlantic City. I did see all the pits in New Hope with the engine house being built on the one pit.Its easier to get a drop pit that way :wink: . I have collected so much info on the line such as old photos and maps etc.