Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by CLamb

I know the CNJ used Budd RDCs for the Cranford to Jersey City route under the Aldene Plain. Were they used on any other routes?
  by kilroy

I've seen photos of them in Newark's Broad St Station and also in Atlantic Highlands and Roselle.
  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:I've seen photos of them in Newark's Broad St Station and also in Atlantic Highlands and Roselle.
I would see them on the mainline through Bayonne prior to the Aldene Plan. If you can find a CNJ passenger timetable from the pre-Aldene 1960s, i.e., prior to April 1967, you will see certain trains with a "B" symbol footnote which was "Deluxe Air Conditioned Rail Diesel Cars" or something very close to that phrase.
  by R&DB

They were used quite a bit on the Matawan to Atlantic Highlands run and some Sundays on the New York and Long Branch all the way from Jersey City to Bay Head.
  by necrails

I remember 4 car RDC sets flying through Bayonne pre Aldene. I believe these were Reading RR cars heading to Philadelphia. Post Aldene the RDC's shuttled Bayonne to Cranford, say them in the Atlantic Highlands also but cannot remember the year.