Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1410016  by CLamb

I know the CNJ used Budd RDCs for the Cranford to Jersey City route under the Aldene Plain. Were they used on any other routes?
 #1410486  by kilroy

I've seen photos of them in Newark's Broad St Station and also in Atlantic Highlands and Roselle.
 #1410573  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:I've seen photos of them in Newark's Broad St Station and also in Atlantic Highlands and Roselle.
I would see them on the mainline through Bayonne prior to the Aldene Plan. If you can find a CNJ passenger timetable from the pre-Aldene 1960s, i.e., prior to April 1967, you will see certain trains with a "B" symbol footnote which was "Deluxe Air Conditioned Rail Diesel Cars" or something very close to that phrase.
 #1411634  by R&DB

They were used quite a bit on the Matawan to Atlantic Highlands run and some Sundays on the New York and Long Branch all the way from Jersey City to Bay Head.
 #1430880  by necrails

I remember 4 car RDC sets flying through Bayonne pre Aldene. I believe these were Reading RR cars heading to Philadelphia. Post Aldene the RDC's shuttled Bayonne to Cranford, say them in the Atlantic Highlands also but cannot remember the year.