Railroad Forums 

• NEW! Jersey Central Facilities Book

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1300166  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I just got the new Morning Sun Jersey Central Facilities Vol. 1 book. It is done nicely BUT....it is sometimes hard to follow as it jumps all over the place. It doesn't follow the route from Jersey City to Scranton and E'port to Bay Head in order like the Lackawanna books do. There are some really great overhead shots of Jersey City terminal and the whole area along the river. I was disappointed that it skipped over several areas,or only briefly mentioned them. There is one thing that is annoying. The bold print they use for every station,tower, signal,bridge, or yard gets confusing. They will sometimes mention 3 or 4 places in one paragraph and you have to study the photos to see where it is they are actually talking about. While, in my opinion, not as nice as the Lackawanna Facilities books it is my beloved Jersey Central and no matter what I can't get enough books on it. Waiting for Vol.2 and hoping they cover some of the places they missed in Vol. 1. Also hope they can eventually take us into modern times to show what is happening on the CNJ now like light rail, NJT,NS,CSX,R&N,W&W, BR&W,M&E,etc. and the stations and other structures that are still standing and/or being used for railroad or non-railroad purposes.
 #1300998  by red baron

I echo those observations.
A lot of amazing photographs, from rare vantage points. However, very confusing layout and while I realize this is Vol 1 and a Vol 2 is planned, I just found it odd that this volume was supposed to reference the "prosperous" era, and while presumptuously Vol 2 will cover the era of decline it just seemed contradictory that many photos in Vol 2 were from the 1970s. Which worked for me since it's my era of interest, just an observation.
Regardless, was worth my money and looking forward to another Volume.