Railroad Forums 

• Locomotives of the Jersey Central

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#1226187  by Richard1

I have a copy of the revised and republished 1978 edition of "Locomotives of the Jersey Central" by Warren B. Crater for sale, for $15 plus $5 postage.
Richard Palmer
224 Arnold Ave.
Syracuse, N.Y., 13210
 #1299152  by toptrain

To bad you are selling it and not reading what is inside it. The title you chose is vague so I answered it, wanting to see if there was a question or not. The book you have is full of info on every locomotive the CNJ / CRRofNJ has ever had. Only thing Crater didn't put in was basic measurements for the locomotives. He sadly only put a few sketches,of a very few locomotives. Not exactly a modelers book, but a historians book. I have 2. One all apart for info, as a modeler. The other so I have a good book to view as a historian.
Good luck with your crafty sale.
frank
 #1299528  by toptrain

** A little something on a locomotive of the CRRofNJ. Let me tell you about it.
* Locomotive 567. A 4-4-0 camelback. History; built as a rear cab 4-4-0 by Baldwin with the number 172. It went into he Ashley shops towards the end ,I think, of 1897, was rebuilt, and emerged in June of 1889 a 4-4-0 of a completely different type. A camelback ! It still had the number 172. As you know it has no longer a rear cab, but a center cab. Everything above the frame is brand new. maybe they kept the original bell. The original frame was kept. The drivers reworked and made large. Wheels and axels are listed as being larger, so front truck was changed to hold additional weight. So the frame and parts of the drivers were kept and they call this a rebuild. The original frame would later affect the locomotive. It would be changed with another rebuild, later on. Along came 1899. This is year of the CRRofNJ first complete renumbering. Now it is locomotive 545. Still is the same. Now come the 1903 renumbering and it becomes #567. This is the point at which I will be modeling this locomotive.

frank