Railroad Forums 

• O&W Scranton Division

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1338308  by walterconklin

Hello,

My name is Walter Conklin. For over the last five years, I have been working with my friends Joe Cooney and Doug Relyea on building a virtual route called Tristate for the Microsoft Train Simulator (MSTS)/Open Rails platform. Tristate includes a representation of significant stretches of O&W trackage. Each mile on the route equates to one mile in reality! The setting for Tristate is loosely the late 1920s to the early 1950s.

The next phase of the O&W portion of Tristate will be building the Scranton Division on a virtual level between Cadosia and Scranton. Joe and I would ideally like to get the track, stations, bridges, and other scenery on the virtual route to correspond approximately to where these elements existed in reality. Railroad Val. maps and images help us achieve that formidable goal. We are aware of the O&W Val. maps in the O&WRHS collection. However, we do not have access to those maps for the time being because of construction at the building that houses the archives, as you may know. Therefore, we are seeking other sources for images, maps, particularly track charts and Val. maps, that show the former layout of the trackage as well as the locations of stations, bridges, and other landmarks that existed between the aforementioned points. Walt Kierzkowski has been a great source for information about the Scranton Division. In addition to seeking material about the Scranton Division, Joe and I are looking for maps, images, etc. pertaining to the O&W Southern Division, particularly in regards to the O&W trackage, stations, bridges, etc. that existed in Orange County, NY.

I am looking forward to showing the Tristate Route at the upcoming Middletown Railroad Day. Imagine what it must have been like to drive an O&W camelback with a heavy load of coal hoppers or a FT powering a camp train special comming into Middletown. Now you can have the opportunity to try your hand driving models of these trains in the sim...

Sincerely,

Walter Conklin
 #1338332  by Noel Weaver

There was a book written about the Scranton Division some years ago. I don't know whether it is still available in print or not. Check around the area libraries also O & W H S might be able to help you find this book.
Noel Weaver