Railroad Forums 

• Customer list for the final year(s)???

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1260672  by Piyer

Out of not-so-idle curiosity, I was wondering if there is a readily accessible list of the O&W's shippers / receivers from around 1957?
 #1260711  by charlie6017

Hi there,

You might want to give the New York Ontario & Western Railway Historical Society's website
a peek. I'm sure they would have information you are seeking. Here's the link to their home-page.

http://www.nyow.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;‎

Also, here is the direct link to their documents below. Good luck!

http://owrhs.comp-wiz.com/new/index.php ... /documents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charlie
 #1260722  by Cactus Jack

Well for 2nd Q 1957 it is easy - None !!
It was all over 57 years ago today.

I believe the O&W Historical Society has a list about 1950, maybe a little later. I think 1950 was the last I personally have seen. All things considered it was a busy railroad until the last day.
 #1260856  by FLRailFan1

Cactus Jack wrote:Well for 2nd Q 1957 it is easy - None !!
It was all over 57 years ago today.

I believe the O&W Historical Society has a list about 1950, maybe a little later. I think 1950 was the last I personally have seen. All things considered it was a busy railroad until the last day.
l

I wonder what businesses are still around in the O&W territory. On my layout, I have the O&W as a division of the New Haven.
 #1261061  by Cactus Jack

What business still exists ?

Good question. A number of years ago there were a few in Central NY that transhipped off the EL Utica - Binghamton line.
I can't think of a single one left. Businesses that still existed post rail included many of the GLF (later Agway) and other feed stores and coal dealers such as Leland's in Hamilton and Simmons & Mummery in Smyrna, other businesses such as Conkling-Rogers in Earlville later received some off the DL&W / EL before going out of business - years ago. Jacquay Feeds of Hamilton transloaded out of the DL&W at Hubbardsville into Conrail days, then went to Sherburne. I don't remember if he lasted into NYSW days or not.

The quarry at Oriskany Falls still produces limestone, which was a good source of O&W revenue and I think some business is left in Fulton served by CSX, and possibly maybe Oswego ??

Right off nothing comes to mind in Utica, Oneida or Rome that was directly served. Sitrue Paper in Utica lasted into EL days but was gone in November 1971. Other business later served by Conrail and even NYSW over former NYO&W lines is all gone including the just recently demolished Fay Street Warehouse that was imploded a few weeks back.

Nothing in Norwich I can think of ... maybe the Scintilla plant in Sidney, whatever it is called now ?

Same goes for Walton, Livingston Manor and probably Liberty.

I don't know the Scranton Division so well, so maybe there is something down that way.

Middletown - the M&NJ interchange and ?

What does anybody else come up with ?