Railroad Forums 

• X Class at Walton

• Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.
Discussion of the NYO&W Railway and predecessor New York and Oswego Midland Railroad (NY&OM) for the period 1866 to its abandonment in 1957. Visit the historical site here: O&WRHS.

Moderators: David, CAR_FLOATER

#1132655  by Cactus Jack

How common were X Class Bullmoose locos in Walton ? 2-10-2 type
 #1132795  by Noel Weaver

Cactus Jack wrote:How common were X Class Bullmoose locos in Walton ? 2-10-2 type
Were they allowed there? I thought they had clearance problems in the tunnels that prevented their operation in that particular area. I guess I'll have to dig out some old timetables to figure this one out but not right now.
Noel Weaver
 #1133939  by ricebrianrice

The Northfield tunnel is north of Walton, so the X-Class could have made it that far, but I think it was rare.
There would have been little reason to send that large of a locomotive, from Cadosia to Walton, to only send it right back. My understanding is that it was mostly the W class, and Camelbacks from Cadosia North.

But there were some rumblings a couple of months ago on Yahoo, about an X-Class running all the way to Norwich.

Anything could have happened on any day.

Brian
 #1134611  by Cactus Jack

I found a 1944 train order showing the 361 at Walton from Cadosia.

Recently I have also uncovered an RTM showing Y Class 403 going into Sidney in July 1946. I think the X class may have pushed to Northfield Tunnel from time to time but never thought much about any other operations into Walton. I agree, must have been reasonable uncommon, but that is just my brief understanding.

Y Class did show up in Walton before the passenger train was cut back to Cadosia and there are pics of the 405 there (Mohowski's Milk Train book).

I've always thought the X class rather ugly and so never got too excited about them, although in their day they were monsters !
 #1134919  by ricebrianrice

For some odd reason, the X-Class are my favorite O&W locomotive.
They don't get the praise of the Y-class, or the uniqueness of the Camel Back & Mother Hubbards, but they were the work horse of the railroad.
They were the down and dirty get the work done locomotive, not the pretty fast passenger locomotives.

What a site to see them, they must have looked like monsters when they first came to the railroad.

One of Pat Drivers photos of #362
http://library24.library.cornell.edu:82 ... 34&trs=101