Railroad Forums 

• Pen Argyl to Maybrook on the LNE via the Erie

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#1018927  by jmchitvt

Hello Walter

I spent a few Saturdays at Hainesburg Jct in the late 50's.

As I recall it was an ALL day adventure. By 8 AM or so they would drop the tail of the Maybrook freight just west of the bridge in Portland and bring over the NYSW interchange and back it all into the old NYSW main to Gravel Place clear down to track end. Go back over, then head east. I believe they got to the west lead by BK just after noon.

They came west and picked up the NYSW set out in that small two/three track yard on the LNE just west of the Junction station. By then it was evening. Those FA's were a dreadful sight, nose to nose at times, mixed A's and B's, as darkness fell. Then they did a re-paint just before closing shop!!

I hope my recollections are of help.

Wish you well.

Joseph in VT
 #1021163  by LNE655

Just a note on the FA's. They were nice up until about late 58. The black wore off and exposed the white underneath like a cancer, dreadful is right, especially if you saw them when they looked so nice. As far as I know only the 706 and 709 got repaints.

The RS2 paint held up until the end, wondering why?