Railroad Forums 

• WELCOME

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#211  by David

WELCOME-- Looking for pictures of the old ROW in the NJ portion of this line. I rode a lot of it with my dirt bike around the town of Sussex. That was almost 20 years ago! I thnk there was an area (town) called Pellettown that I rode through too. The bridges were gone in many places and I had to go very slow not to fall into the streams and small rivers.

#278  by rushhour

Check out this place

http://www.gingerb.com

He has some great photos of the ROW. I'll look around some more for you.

#1612  by David

rushhour--Thank you for the pictures--Good shots--When did the L&NE Railway finally end?

#4982  by rushhour

The "railway" ended when Conrail came. I believe that the CNJ still stayed with the L&NE Rwy untill the very end. Figure that it must have been profitable.

#10732  by pdman

It was sprofitable up to the end. The majority stockholders actually closed the road because they did not see future profits. It was one of those roads that voluntarily shut down (not of bankruptcy). There is a good book on the road.

#10857  by Andyt293

The LNE Railway lasted until 1974, two years after the CNJ formally pulled out of Pennsylvania. I believe that the profitability of the former LNE operations actually caused issues with the parent CNJ's bankruptcy proceedings and they were eventually forced to give up the trackage. Something along the lines of "well if we keep this profitable trackage we only get this much in federal aid, if we dump the trackage, we'll get more money to shore up the money losing operations in New Jersey".

The Lehigh Valley operated the former LNE cement trackage from 1974 to the advent of Conrail. I believe Reading may have operated the Tamaqua-Hauto traackage after the CNJ pulled out.

#10958  by rushhour

Andyt293 wrote:The Lehigh Valley operated the former LNE cement trackage from 1974 to the advent of Conrail. I believe Reading may have operated the Tamaqua-Hauto traackage after the CNJ pulled out.
Yes the RDG did operated the trackage after the CNJ pulled out. For some reason I thought that the CNJ stayed with the LNE railway till 1976...What was I thinking LOL

Take care

#17304  by biker

David,

Now is a good time to revisit the LNE ROW from Sussex towards Pelletown. It has been cleared and made wider - something that the gas company does from time to time.

It's 9-10 miles from the A&P in Sussex to Augusta. Bring a few bottles of water b/c there's no general store in between. It's a great ride if you're in shape and can handle riding in some mud. This ROW is very muddy in spots, so make sure at least 4 days of sunshine go by before you even think about riding on it. AND...don't go between end of June to end of August. The mosquitoes will eat you alive!!! Even my dog was complaining after 1/4 mile.