Railroad Forums 

• Nazareth Branch Customers

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#18766  by obsessed railfan

Does any historian have any info on the on-line buisness on the L&NE's Nazareth Branch (formerly Bushkill Branch)? Or was this branch used just as a cut off? Am researching the topic and will appreciate any info.; Thanks.
Last edited by obsessed railfan on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

#19269  by krobar

Hi, Are you talking about the line that ran north from the Martins Creek branch east of Tadmor Yard? If so I've tried to follow as much of this old ROW as possible. There didn't seem to be much in the way of business along this section. There could have been an old slate quarry and perhaps some ag business along this line. However I do recall reading that it was mainly used as a passenger bypass for the limited service that they had. BTW passenger service ended before WWII, this was told to me by an old LNE employee. I don't have the info in front of me but I believe the trackage was abandoned in the 20s or 30s. This line rejoined the mainline east of Wind Gap. There is (was?) a small station a little bit below the VFW building on the east side of Broadway in town. Hope this will help you :D .

LNE

#19274  by obsessed railfan

Thanks a lot for the information! This will really help in my research! :D Do you also have info on those old abutments you can see from route 946 by the developments? I guess some sort of bridge went over Nazareth Branch.

#19512  by krobar

Those abutments were for a bucket conveyor system that Penn-Dixie cement used to move material back and forth between the old plant north of Rt.248 and the plant on the west side of Nazareth. Until a year or two ago there had been a steel cable tower in the farm field to the west of the Gracedale complex. I'm not sure of how many they used, it's the only one I remember seeing. Glad to have helped :D .

LNE

#19603  by obsessed railfan

Wow! Thanks for the historical information once again. :D