Railroad Forums 

• Last loco in steam on the L&NE?

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#518  by Aa3rt

I'm still looking for the following information:

A. What was the last locomotive in steam on the L&NE?

B. What was the last operating Class I-5 0-8-0 and when did they end operation?
 #7995  by obsessed railfan

I'm fairly certain that the last steam loco bought new by LNE was
Baldwin 2-10-0 #404 built in March 1931. Itr was scrapped on April 28, 1950. LNE's 2-10-0's were used exclusively on the Summit grade.
I hope this helps.

-Bryan

#25722  by Aa3rt

Hi Bryan, sorry I guess I should have worded my question a little better. What I'm looking for is the last day steam locomotives operated on the L&NE (What day was dieselization complete, in other words.) and what was the last steam locomotive operating?

Actually (and suprisingly) the last steam loco purchased by the L&NE was a class B 5 0-6-0, purchased from Baldwin in May of 1936.

The four class F 1 2-10-0s came from Baldwin between September of 1927 and March of 1931.

I recently saw a L&NE video that says the 0-6-0 still exists at the Illini Railroad Museum. A check of their website reveals the loco on the roster but no pictures. :(

#32924  by Aa3rt

Well, I did manage to come up with a partial answer to my question...

From History of (the) Lehigh and New England Railroad Company, published by the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in 1972, edited by Randolph L. Kulp:

Chapter 10 "World War II and Post War Operations, Dieselization Begun 1940-1949"-"The railroad acquired another type A cab unit, another type B unit, thirteen 1500 horsepower dual road types, and five 1000 horsepower diesels from American Locomotive Company so that on December 20, the railroad's officials announced that the system had become completely dieselized. Remaining steam locomotives of various types remained on the property until delivery to scrap dealers in spring, 1950."

That would put the last steam operation on the L&NE at sometime in late 1949-anyone have specifics?

P.S. Before the last version of this site went down, one poster had stated that the last day for steam on the L&NE was Nov. 27, 1949, although I still don't know what the locomotive was and where it ran.