Railroad Forums 

• Stations in New Jersey

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#168144  by David

Was there a L&NE Station in Blairstown? The NYS&W, I believe, had one there. Did they share it. And was this same station located there the same one used for the Blairstown Railroad?

#168567  by njmidland

The L&NE strictly had trackage rights between Hainesburg Jct. and Swartswood Jct. They did not service any points in between on the NYS&W. The Blairstown Railway/NYS&W station in Blairstown was the only station there (same for Hainesburg, Vails, Kalamara, Marksboro and Stillwater).

I have tried to verify this but it it appears that neither L&NE nor its predecessors ever ran through passenger service between PA and NY. There was service as far east as Portland in PA and there was service between Swartswood Jct. and Goshen, NY but never a through passenger train.

#169911  by NJ Vike

There are two stations in Blairstown. One was for the NYS&W; long gone and the other was for the DL&W which is privately owned and has been restored for quite sometime.

The L&NE did have passenger service from Swartswood Jct up to Pine Island? I will look at one of the books I just purchased on the L&NE.

Speaking of the L&NE, there are a group of rail fans restoring a similar F series engine at the Winchester and Western Railroad in Bridgeton, NJ.

I hope they finish it soon :-D

#171592  by vector_one75

While most of the pre-Hell Gate Bridge era Boston-Washington service via Poughkeepsie Bridge went via L&HR, there was a short time during when this service was actually via the L&NE. I will try to look back into my archives for a copy of the timetable, so there was at least at one time a "through" interline "full service" train over the L&NE. There was also a few years a train called the "Williamsporter" between New York and Williamsport via CNJ / L&NE / RGD but the L&NE was only a short connection between Hauto and Tamaqua between the CNJ and RDG. I may be wrong but the "Williamsporter" I understand was a "CNJ" train, whose operation was co-operated by L&NE and RDG as an extension of the CNJ service, so it was not totally an "L&NE" operation.

Vytautas B. Radzivanas
Perth, Western Australia

#171675  by NJ Vike

There were three short runs:

Tamaqua = Summit Hill Hauto, Swartswood - Sussex-Goshen, and Bethlehem - Pen Argyl.

Both Tamaqua and Swartswood were pulled of in 1937. Bethlehem continued to run until 1938. In 1939, cars were sold to Southern New York Railway.