Railroad Forums 

• L&NE Branches- Bethlehem, Allentown & Catasauqua.

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#1207370  by railroads2000

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and I have a question concerning L&NE's branches, the Bethlehem, Allentown and Catasauqua. Can anyone tell what industries the L&NE served on these branch lines? I understand there were some 35 industries in 5 miles just on the Allentown alone. Are there track charts available for these branch lines? Of the three, which would make a good choice for modeling? I'm not familiar with the area, however, I have the new Morning Sun book by Mike Bednar, the book by Douglas Lilly and the L&NE book by Carstens, as well as the DVD's, all three volumes from John Pechulis Media. I'm from Michigan and I have an intereset in the L&NE, as well as various other roads and short lines. Thanks.

James Barnes, Jr.
Taylor, Michigan
 #1286292  by RDG467

James, hopefully you'll see this reply--I just saw this post today. I haven't been back to the individual forums in a while.

The Catty branch served the Crane Iron Works in Catty, and then crossed the CNJ, the River, the LV and made a *severe* right hand turn to interchange with the Reading's Catasauqua and Fogelsvile Branch. The Lilly book has pix of this area. For more info on that area, go to the Anthracite RR's Historical Society's website, http://www.anthraciterailroads.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and look on the Flags Diamonds and Statues page. Vol 6 has a two part series about the area and hard copies can be ordered from the site.
 #1486025  by one87th

The L&NE's Catasauqua branch in latter years accounted for 10% of their total interchange traffic (occurring with the Lehigh Valley and the Reading railroads).

A two-part article on the railroads of Catasauqua appears in the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society publication Flags, Diamonds and Statues, Vol. 6, Nos. 3 & 4, (1986).

A 1929 map of the L&NE Allentown branch appears in the ARHS Flags, Diamonds and Statues, Vol 17, No. 1 (2004) issue.

With that being said, is anyone aware of any other books or publications which have photos of the Lehigh and New England Allentown branch in operation under the L&NE/CNJ/LV or Conrail?
Can anyone refer me to individuals who would have photos, videos or other information (switch lists, stories of operation, etc.) concerning this branch and its industries?