Railroad Forums 

• LNE Pen Argyl Shops

• Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.
Discussion of the L&NR railroad for the period 1868-1961 at its inclusion in the Central of New Jersey. Also includes predecessors South Mountain and Boston Railroad, Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie and New England Railroad, and others.

Moderator: David

#100904  by thebigham

I was in Pen Argyl yesterday. I new WalMart is supposed to be built in the old L&NE yard.

The L&NE shops are still there. Someone was plowing the area. A couple of dump trucks were in the shop building.

The cashier at the gas station near the shops said that WalMart is still going in there. She said the red flags next to the road was where a new road was going to be built ino the shops area.

Get your pictures now!

Is the roundhouse going to bulldozed too?

Chris

#158227  by cjvrr

It was reported elsewhere the turntable at the shops has been removed and is currently resting at the Strasburg RR, in Strasburg, PA. Supposedly the ARHS owns the table.

Hi

#169867  by thebigham

Any news on the shops?

Chris

Hi

#171916  by thebigham

The shops are still standing!!

Good news...

Chris

#342319  by the missing link

any news? i wanted to go out there to explore for the day, shops still standing? is there any 'archaeology' in the back where the yards were?

#347967  by metman499

The plans to build a Walmart where the shops are has died. They are safe for now, until the next development plan comes up. Either way the turntable is in Strasburg PA for use on the SRR at some point in the future.

#361163  by the missing link

went by there today. shops, roundhouse, and other smaller buildings still there. never noticed the transfer dock before, thats( the canopy) still standing.
 #1073917  by charlie6017

Glad to hear that.........hope to see that area when I visit Pennsylvania in the near future.

Thanks!
Charlie