Railroad Forums 

• Jones Chemical in Warwick, NY

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1037037  by walterconklin

Hello,

I have inherited the mantle of working on Richard Shirey's 1940's Lehigh and Hudson Railway virtual route created for the Microsoft Train Simulator platform. Richard did an outstanding job recreating the L&HR on a virtual level with both his 1940s and 1960s versions of the L&HR. I am currently removing more of the conspicuous elements that did not exist in real life. On the 1940s version of the virtual route, Richard included a reference to Jones Chemical and a couple of chemical tanks at Warwick yard. The purpose of writing my message is to find out when Jones Chemical had a presence at Warwick. I thought Jones Chemical took over the former L&HR facilities at Warwick after the L&HR went out of business. Is that correct?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1037462  by Marty Feldner

Jones started their Warwick operation in about 1956. Initially they occupied the former storehouse- the long two story building next to the shops, and part of the former roundhouse area (it had burned to the ground in 1952). The beginnings can be seen in this aerial view from January 1957:

http://www.albertwisnerlibrary.org/Fact ... WestSt.jpg

After Conrail, Jones would buy basically the entire yard and shop trackage and buildings with the exception of the main, run around track, and office building.

Not real sure what you mean by "a couple of chemical tanks at Warwick yard"; a screen cap would help.

Prior to the end of steam in 1950, everything was used for the railroad; only after the diesels came would areas start to be rented out or sold for other uses.
 #1037976  by walterconklin

Hi Marty,

Please find attached two screenshots of Richard's virtual representation of Warwick yard rendered in Open Rails Train Simulator.

As you can tell, there is a reference to "Jones Chemical" near the models of the tanks. I don't know if these tanks existed in real life when the L&HR operated Warwick yard.

Open Rails is a train simulator that adds realistic train handling features and better graphics to Microsoft Train Simulator models.

Sincerely,
Walter
Last edited by walterconklin on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.