Railroad Forums 

• L&H Memories: Growing Up Trackside...#4

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#990086  by jmchitvt

Way back in 1960, long before this forumn, Yahoo groups, Trainorders.com, etc, etc - getting the WORD wasn't easy.

Case in point, steam on the L&H Centennial Train!!

Alvin Smith of Washington, NJ and I drove out to Reading PA to check out the RDG steam program very late in winter or early spring. The famous "Reading Rambles" program was in full swing and getting into the enginehouse there was no big deal. Oh, how things have changed.

Long strory short, we checked out the itineraries and the foreman to our amazement in his usual calm Penn Dutch accent mentioned "Lehigh and Hudson" coming up!! ??

Well, my friend Cliff Brown (L&H Treasurer) quickly verified this and we made sure we got all the particulars as they developed.

Friday night before Saturday's excursions found Alvin and I right at Hudson Yard as tbe L&H pilot boarded Reading 4-8-4 #2124. Bill Flood (L&H Road Foreman) wanted to know who we were looking up at him. When I told him who I was he immediately remembered that my name was right after his on RAILWAY AGE magazine which Warwick mailed down to me.

All Friday night we followed the first steam locomotive to traverse the L&H in just about ten years and after its arrival at Warwick we camped out in the car at the General Office building. Saturday morning we got up early, breakfasted down by the station somewheres, watched the long strings of Erie commuter coaches roll in from Greycourt, and made up into two trains. RS-3's 3 and 10 looked the best since they were new, except for the economy paint job - I swear when I stopped by the Warwick shop Friday late morning the handrails were still tacky!!

We took the second train west which was diesel to Belvidere and enjoyed the steam locomotive on the way. It was turned at the PRR in Pburg - maybe the wye at Mansfield Street wasn't an issue because of the servicing?? At this date some FIFTY-ONE years later some details just don't surface. I'm sure this whole subject has been discussed to death, but then again my few personal notes might be off interest.
 #990549  by Marty Feldner

Though I haven't really chimed in before now, I've been following and enjoying your L&HR posts.

Actually, the subject of the Centennial Excursions hasn't been beaten to death here; only two threads. One from me on the 50th (ouch) anniversary:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=72790

And an earlier one with more discussion, from 2004:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... =88&t=3595

These threads sort of got buried with the consolidation (conrailization?) of the anthracite roads fora a while back.

I too was at the shops to greet the 2124 that day, and also was a passenger on the 'second section'.
 #990728  by Paul Miller

Marty! Glad to hear from you again. Referring to the 2004 thread and questions about what souvenirs where issued. Was there also a train whistle? Some of the pictures we've come across from that day show what appears to be a train shaped whistle being held by the kids.
 #990884  by Marty Feldner

I'd forgotten about the whistle in the 2004 posting. I probably had one from 1960, but it had long since disappeared.

A plastic whistle, shaped (sort of) like a steam locomotive, stamped L&HR. Memory says something like yellow/orange in color; maybe 6" or so long?

Good chance either Phil or Larry has one...
 #997587  by NYS&W142Fan

jmchitvt, Would you have the track configurations of Hudson Yard with the leads from both the North and South from say 40 years ago? I know now there are 4 tracks in the yard plus the main. It looks like there was a lot of railroad in a small area.