Railroad Forums 

• Buttzville Station

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#922061  by Paul Miller

For those of you who have my book, I have recently discovered I placed Buttzville Station location in the wrong area. This was based on information in other literature and a map from the railroad company that was somewhat deceiving. I have access to more desriptive maps right now that place it somewhat (approx 100 yards) southwest of the location I described in my book. The map I placed in the book did not have the street named near where the station sat, and the street cut short right after the L&H crossed it, therefore I assumed it was (former) Buttzville Road. It did appear that there could have been a station grounds there based on the layout of the current land. The new map I have discovered proves it was just southwest of what is now called Mill Street ( not to be confused with Mill Road, formerlya section of Buttzville Road) in Buttzville. The grounds there definitely match the newly discovered map. Sometimes, as historians, we can only relate the best information available to us at that time. The more I talk to other historians, the more they tell me they discovered some of their original info was wrong after discovering more accurate items. History is only as good as the person writing it! I take full responsibility for the error and apologize for any confusion, and will be correcting it in the next run of books. Just wanted to share my recent findings with the fans of the L&H. For those of you who have not yet hiked the right of way, now is a very good time to see artifacts before they are shrouded in Spring's flora. I encourage you to explore the L&H R.O.W. in all its beauty!
Paul
 #926273  by David

Good information, Paul-----How is part 2 of your book coming along?--Will be in NJ for the month of June-----
 #926537  by Paul Miller

Hi Dave, still in the research and collecting stage of N.Y. portion but just about there. Let me know if you want to explore in June