Railroad Forums 

• Creameries along the L&HR

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1095911  by walterconklin

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your help.

I actually live in Silver Spring, Maryland, which is located outside of Washington, D.C., as you may know. I have family members who live in Warwick and Sugar Loaf. During my visit to see my family in Warwick in September, I was able to convince my cousin's nanny to take my three year old cousin and myself to the new Albert Wisner Library where I perused your book. You have done a remarkable job with the book. I hope to purchase a copy for myself as soon as possible. Is there a second volume in the works covering the L&HR from where you left off in the first volume to Maybrook?

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1096625  by walterconklin

Hi Paul,

If you need help with gathering research material, I live about 15 minutes from the National Archives II repository in College Park, Maryland. I have made extensive use of the ICC maps collection and engineering field notes for the virtual L&HR project I am working on with friends.

Just to let you know, I have a B.A in history from The American University in Washington, D.C. My senior thesis was about the history of the Middletown & Unionville Railroad with a particular focus on the relationship between the railroad and the dairy industry. It was Marty Feldner's L&HR Scrapbook website that sparked my interest in the L&HR.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1096898  by Paul Miller

Thanks Walter, been down to those archives twice already. I couldn't open your attachments of the ICC maps but I believe someone else gave me a disc of them. Marty has inspired me and many others as well!
 #1097421  by Paul Miller

Walter,
the only info I could find on Durland's switch was from the early 1900's, it was 233 feet long. It would make sense that they kept some length of siding there over the years, as there was a freight house there from 1940-1943. I couldn't find any evidence in my maps or files of a coal dump there, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Did you find it on the ICC Val Maps?