Railroad Forums 

• Creameries along the L&HR

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#916140  by walterconklin

Hello,

I am trying to find out the approximate locations of the creameries that use to exist along the L&HR.
Street names that the creameries were located on would be further helpful. Moreover, I am interested
in finding out which dairy companies owned the creameries in the 1920s.

I am need of this information for a virtual modeling project for Microsoft Train Simulator.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #916205  by Paul Miller

Hi Walter, hope this helps, it's out of my memory, but I can check further when I get home tonight. Most creameries along the LHR were owned by Borden's in the 1920's. Hixon's and Maybrook, although at opposite ends of the railway, were owned by the same owner for a while but the name escapes me.

Hixon's-Bridgeville/Buttzville region
Great Meadows-Route 5, then later Route 6
Long Bridge (Allamuchy)- Long Bridge Road- owned by Mutual Milk and Cream
Allamuchy (proper)- Allamuchy/Johnsonburg Road
Tranquility-present day Route 611-owned by Borden's
Huntsville-Whitehall Road
Mulford's (Andover)- Mulford Road ,, owned by Middletown Milk
Woodruff's Gap (Sparta) -Route 15 crossing, owned by Keystone Dairy
Monroe (Sparta) - Old Prospect School Road, owned by C.M. Ackerson
Hamburg- Sheldon's, owned by Sheldon family
McAfee- near Route 94 crossing-owned by Chardovoyne but burned in 1917
Vernon-Vernon Crossing Road
Price's Switch-(Vernon)- Prices Switch Road-owned by Borden's and Sussex Milk and Cream
New Milford-near 2 Bridges Road Crossing-owned by Bordens
Wisner-Wisner Road crossing
Durland's-near State School Road crossing
Lake-road since abandoned but near Lake Station road now-owned by Borden's
Sugar Loaf-Pine Hill Road/King's Highway- owned by Mutual Milk and Cream
Farmingdale-Farmingdale Road crossing-owned by Borden's
Hamptonburgh- current day Rt. 51 owned by Borden's
Maybrook- road abandoned

there were milk stops/stands in Maple Grange (Vernon) and a few other points on the line but these were abandoned around 1905.

There were additional ice houses in Andover (Hancock's), Lake Iliff(Knickerbocker's), Lake Grinnel (Sparta), and White Lake (Sparta)

If you can get access to my book I have pictures and more info of most creameries.
Happy Hunting!
Paul Miller
 #916975  by walterconklin

Thank you Paul for the helpful information as to the list of creameries that use to exist along the L&HR.

I am wondering what book are you alluding in your post.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #917102  by Paul Miller

"Tracking Down the Lehigh and Hudson" covers the New Jersey portion of the right of way. There's copies in the Belvidere , N.J. Library as well as Albert Wisner Library in Warwick , N.Y. I have additional copies for sale as well if you are interested in obtaining a copy. Currently working on NY portion so I should be able to help you out with that as well.
 #981032  by maxrail

I am quitee late to this discussion but I thought I would mention that there was a creamery opposite Mansfield Street In Belvidere, owned by F.W. Janssen. The creamery was the Delaware Creamery, also the name of the creamery on the DL&W in Delaware. Janssen was a Hoboken dealer who from what I could google supplied NYC hotels and restaurants.

My guess is that Janssen's Belvidere facility perhaps contributed to part of a car that was dropped at Andover for pick up by the DL&W. Janssen also had a Stillwater creamery. How did the Stillwater milk get to Hoboken?

Wouldn't it be great to have a notebook showing all these moves?

Dick Makse
 #981069  by Paul Miller

Dick, I'm assuming the creamery you speak of was serviced by the P.R.R. who still had the ability to ship to Andover via the L&HR.not sure about the Stillwater connection, my guess is that maybe the L&NE dropped off at Augusta to Sussex Branch DLW, then onto Hoboken.
 #981235  by maxrail

Paul:

I stand corrected. The Janssen creamery was on the Bel-Del. I was mixing it up with the Henry S. Chardavoyne wholesale milk depot. Chardavoyne was a Brooklyn businessman and also had milk stations at McAfee (on your list, Keystone) and Woodruff's Gap.

Dick Makse
Attachments:
(197.75 KiB) Downloaded 13290 times
 #983691  by L&HR C&S

The creamery on Whitehall Road at Huntsville was owned by J.J. Giamalvo. I have a couple of the Malvo Brand cheese containers as my Father, and later myself, used to do grounds keeping and painting there in the 70s and early 80s. He would bring home containers of the BEST cheese going. In the early 1980s, J.J. retired and closed the cheese buisness. The building later housed a factory makeing window blinds.
 #983714  by Paul Miller

Another fact I never came across, thanks L&HR C&S. When did Giamalvo first start operations there? I have evidence of the creamery being there back to at least 1910.
 #1052875  by L&HR C&S

Some older photos with a cheap camera at the Giamalvo cheese factory in Huntsville, NJ. It almost seems like yesterday.
Paul - I did find one photo of the whey pits taken from on top of the cut off.
Attachments:
scan0063.jpg
scan0063.jpg (273.65 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
CR 5454 at Huntsville 1984
CR 5454 at Huntsville 1984
scan0066.jpg (339.65 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
CR 5412 at the creamery in Huntsville 05-1984
CR 5412 at the creamery in Huntsville 05-1984
CR 5412 HUNTSVILLE NJ L&HR 05-1984.jpg (366.79 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
 #1089375  by walterconklin

Hello,

Were the creameries generally on the RR East or RR West side of the L&HR?

Were the creameries north or south of the roads mentioned by Paul?

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1094878  by walterconklin

Hello,

I have two follow-up questions about the locations of the creameries that use to exise along the L&HR:

Does anyone know where was the site of the icehouse that use to exist at Hancock's (Andover)?

Was the location of the coal dump for the Boy's school actually at the end of the siding that was originally for the creamery that was at Durland?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1095248  by Paul Miller

Walter,
the Hancock Icehouse was across from the Long Pond Farm building on Limestone Road. Anything Jersey related will be in my book. Maps, buildings, sidings. The Wisner Library has a copy you can view for free, since I think you live near Warwick? should answer the majority your current searches for NJ related items.
As for the coal dump, I know there was one near Sugar Loaf, I'll have to research that one a little more, maybe the one your referring to?