Railroad Forums 

• Mishap with the Atomic train

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#756938  by philipmartin

There was an interchange track at G, (gone by the time I got there in 1960,) and I guess the PRR crew put the atomic cars on it for the L&H. When the crew cut away from the cars, instead of lining the engine for the main track, the operator brought it back against the atomic cars, with a slam. No problems ensued. In those days, railroaders didn't turn each other in, (although I do;); and the operator was a high ranking Free Mason, which wouldn't have hurt on the old Pennsy.
The operator told me the story fifty years ago, so this may be what happened; but it could also be that the L&H crew was supposed to run around the cars to tack the caboose on, and got lined into the atomic cars instead. Also, I'm guessing that the cars came from the PRR.
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.