Railroad Forums 

• DVD: "Steam & Diesel on the L&HR"

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#628851  by tristate

Hello all
I recently discovered that there is a dvd titled Steam & diesel on the L&HR by Milby & Garett from 2004. I didn't see any mention of it in previous video postings. There is a copy of it in the Kalmbach museum but I can't find anything on the internet except the Kalmbach reference. Anyone know where to get a copy? I'd gladly pay for someone to copy it if originals aren't available.
Thanks in advance,
Den
 #628965  by Railjourner

Wow this is cool! Sorry I don't have any info on this but will start looking around. If I find out anything I'll post here. Thanks for the heads up. :-)
 #629083  by Marty Feldner

Never heard of this one, but I do have an idea of what it might be...

You say 'Kalmbach museum'; could you be more specific? Kalmbach the publisher in Milwaukee? The museum in Macungie PA?

Do you have any more details, maybe a link?

Paul?
 #629106  by Railjourner

I've only found a few references so far to this video (and I checked alot of video sites) one is at the Kalmbach Memorial Library http://library.nmra.org/ and the other is on the Alphabet Route site (which I didn't know existed and is pretty cool) http://www.alphabetroute.com/lhr/protolibrary.php . Would love to get my hands on this and it supposedly is a two CD set. Without first names my google of Milby and Garett didn't yield any clues. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this. :-)
 #629160  by tristate

I found it on the Alphabet Route site and I couldn't believe I'd never heard of it. I don't feel so "left out in the cold" now that I see Marty, Paul and the rest of you have never heard of it either! I googled it in quotation marks and the museum link is the only link that came up. I posted this on the Yahoo group LHR Railway last week and one member knew of the Kalmbach copy. I'm going to call them on Mon and try to get more info on it and the mysterious Milby and Garett.
Den
 #629485  by Railjourner

Well, it seems not only is there a quest for XA but now the quest for the video has started again thanks to tristate for the new leads. I forgot about this old thread. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 88&t=31949

BTW, got an email back from the webmaster of the Alphabet Route site and he believes the video (which is listed as amateur video) is exclusive to the NMRA and the Kalmbach library. It can be rented though, but you need to be a NMRA member.
 #629562  by tristate

Hmmm........ Sounds like our dvd is most likely the mysterious missing 2 reels. The plot thickens. I'm going to call the Library today ( and join the NMRA) and find out what I can about Milby & Garett and how many copies of this they have. I'll settle for a rental if I can't own it. Check out their website. A 6 month trial membership is only $9.95.
Den
 #629735  by Railjourner

"Hmmm........ Sounds like our dvd is most likely the mysterious missing 2 reels."

Sorry to disappoint everyone but here is the subject of the video.

http://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk/index.php

Damn! :( I really had my hopes up because there is just so little video footage of the L&HR. Perhaps more will turn up some day. I think another email to the Alphabet webmaster is in order.
 #629777  by tristate

Oh well. I'm not surprised. Last night I remembered that there is or was a British railway that fooled me once before.And the names Milby and Garett are as English as they get. I was hoping it was LNE but.........
 #629918  by Marty Feldner

Oh well, indeed...

This is not the first time one of the British LHR's (I believe there were at least two over the years) has been confused for our favorite, on this side of the pond.
 #631998  by tristate

Hello all
I'm back on the trail. Thanks to Ray Wetzel I now know that Walter Rich of the Oswego Corp. is the person who bought the 2 reels at the auction. I don't know whether for personal use or corporate. He passed away 2 years ago. Anybody have any suggestions on who I could contact. Paul? Possibly an insider you know of from your research?
Den
 #632053  by Paul Miller

I do have some contacts for this issue but nothing new to report right now. Hopefully within the next 6 months the reels will surface. They are apparently from the 1950's.Walter Rich did purchase these at the auction. We believe there was only 1 set of films that existed.