Railroad Forums 

• Lehigh and Hudson Bridge at Phillipsburg

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#54414  by NJ Vike

Ken W2KB wrote:I saw a westbound freight go thru the crossing near the former Ingersoll Rand property yesterday around 2:30 p.m. or so. Somewhat later a NS highrail was up on the bridge in question chasing off the numerous spectators watching the flooded Delaware rip a couple feet below track level. Many folks were up on the ex-CNJ bridge, and some on the ex-LV. Quite something to see.
It appears that while many of us were spared in NJ, others in PA and NY weren't so lucky.

I just received an e-mail message that someone taking an excursion on the Honesdale witnessed mud slides.

I will post the link once I receive it. He either has pics or a video.

Should be interesting.

The last flood I heard (wasn't around yet) was in 1955 Hurricane Diane)

Ken

#465646  by transit383

Dusting off this old thread...

After seeing the PRR E8s cross this bridge (photo), it got me wondering... I've been out to Phillipsburg countless times over the past few years and the PRR E8s were the first train I've seen cross the L&HR Bridge. How much traffic does this bridge see and when is the best time to catch a train crossing it?

#466699  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

transit383 wrote:Dusting off this old thread...

After seeing the PRR E8s cross this bridge (photo), it got me wondering... I've been out to Phillipsburg countless times over the past few years and the PRR E8s were the first train I've seen cross the L&HR Bridge. How much traffic does this bridge see and when is the best time to catch a train crossing it?
The bridge actually sees a lot more traffic than people give credit. I'll admit that I did not look at the dates of the first few posts in this thread and found it interesting that someone stated that traffic may be increased to 5 days a week. Unfortunately, three years later it is still 3 days a week.

NS H76 - from Allentown to Slateford Jct. crosses the river anytime between 10AM and 1PM on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I am not sure about Tuesdays but they drill Hudson yard on Thursdays (at least they did the last time I was there) but rarely on Saturdays.
Coal trains - I have yet to get lucky here as they run mostly at night.
Bel-Del - The Bel-Del interchanges with NS at Hudson Yard on Tues & Thurs whether they cross the river to switch their customer(s) in West Easton is hit or miss. I believe they are up to 3 or 4 times a month. Wow! (sarcasm)

The Saturday chase of H76 is very predictable, fun, and a change of pace, and I usually head out to P-burg at least once a month (will be more once it snows).

Hope this helps!
See ya trackside.

BTW, I was at P-burg last Friday shooting/chasing the E's. I was in the orange sweatshirt and black jeans.

#466887  by PVRX1

NS H76 - from Allentown to Slateford Jct. crosses the river anytime between 10AM and 1PM on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I am not sure about Tuesdays but they drill Hudson yard on Thursdays (at least they did the last time I was there) but rarely on Saturdays.
***H76 crosses around 11 often and services Hudson yard Tues, Thurs, and some Saturdays. Hudson is used to hold cars for the Con Agra plant, serves as interchange point for the BDRV, and holds coal for Portland.

***Sometimes one can find a southbound during the morning prior to H76, other times at night. I have seen northbounds around 2-3pm, and there is really no pattern to this. Just luck. Coal trains also work in Hudson yard by splitting their train and taking part up to Portland and leaving part on track one.

Bel-Del - The Bel-Del interchanges with NS at Hudson Yard on Tues & Thurs whether they cross the river to switch their customer(s) in West Easton is hit or miss. I believe they are up to 3 or 4 times a month. Wow! (sarcasm)
***We cross the river to West Easton every Tuesday and Thursday each week. Of late, some additional days per week as needed, as business has increased quite a bit. Generally, the river is crossed after H76 comes through. 8142 (SW1200RS) handles freight as 1850 (GP9) is still on lease to ConAgra up at Martins Creek. Crews use cell phone to talk to the dispatcher, so you wont know how long the form D is in effect for (long enough for a round trip, or a quick trip across).

The Saturday chase of H76 is very predictable, fun, and a change of pace, and I usually head out to P-burg at least once a month (will be more once it snows).

#467326  by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

PVRX1 wrote:***We cross the river to West Easton every Tuesday and Thursday each week. Of late, some additional days per week as needed, as business has increased quite a bit. Generally, the river is crossed after H76 comes through.
Sweet! Thanks for the info. It looks like another Thursday trip is necessary.
 #467478  by IRN750

This bridge is used 6-7 days a week besides h-76 using it 3 days a week local h-71 works Mon-thru Friday to do work on the Porland Secy. They are on duty 400pm in Allentown some days they taxi and relieve the h-76 or h74 Their main duty is the Con Agra plant at Martins Creek. H78 works 5 days a week Sun thru Thurs on duty 700pm and usally will handle any of the coal trains.

#468287  by Dump The Air

Yes, that is a one car local!

Big business!
 #502150  by Milesius

I use to see coal trains when I delivered pizzas on Friday night around 7-9PM a couple of years ago when I lived there. Check it out.

PVRX1 wrote:NS H76 - from Allentown to Slateford Jct. crosses the river anytime between 10AM and 1PM on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I am not sure about Tuesdays but they drill Hudson yard on Thursdays (at least they did the last time I was there) but rarely on Saturdays.
***H76 crosses around 11 often and services Hudson yard Tues, Thurs, and some Saturdays. Hudson is used to hold cars for the Con Agra plant, serves as interchange point for the BDRV, and holds coal for Portland.

***Sometimes one can find a southbound during the morning prior to H76, other times at night. I have seen northbounds around 2-3pm, and there is really no pattern to this. Just luck. Coal trains also work in Hudson yard by splitting their train and taking part up to Portland and leaving part on track one.

***We cross the river to West Easton every Tuesday and Thursday each week. Of late, some additional days per week as needed, as business has increased quite a bit. Generally, the river is crossed after H76 comes through. 8142 (SW1200RS) handles freight as 1850 (GP9) is still on lease to ConAgra up at Martins Creek. Crews use cell phone to talk to the dispatcher, so you wont know how long the form D is in effect for (long enough for a round trip, or a quick trip across).