Railroad Forums 

• L&HR fantrips, passenger runs?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#525538  by JJMDiMunno

Hey guys,
Wondering if you guys know if any fantrips were made over the L&HR in the 1960's or 1970's, pre-Conrail? I do recall a fantrip in 1960, but were there any others besides that one? I did find the thread here discussing that trip.

If anyone can think up any others, I'd be looking for some details like the date, time it may have run, equipment that was used, etc.

Thanks guys!

Mike DiMunno

#525731  by rfalcone

My dad and I were on the fan trip that took place on May 14, 1967. I was 6 years old at the time.

I can remember being on the train. I can remember getting off a couple of times where the train would do a run-by for photos. I also remember rocky cliffs and feeling scared that we would fall off. I am guessing that would have been down around Easton.

I still have a picture of the train at Great Meadows sitting on my dresser. My tickets from the trip are in a box somewhere around the house. I may have to go dig them up!

I am sure others will follow with their own stories.

Rich

#529348  by Paul Miller

Robert Collins hosted a July 9, 1939 "Railroadians of America" excursion running 258 total miles and running over the L.H.R. from Warwick to Belvidere using a 4-4-0. In October of 1968, Quakertown and Eastern ran their #4 over the L.H.R., repeating the fan trip on August 9, 1969. On June 4th, 1961, the Erie Lackawanna ran an excursion on part of the L.H.R. from Maybrook to Andover Junction. May 14, 1967- the High Iron Company ran it's ex Canadian Pacific G-5 # 1286 from Allentown to Warwick and back. September 6, 1971- the National Railroad Historical Society ran an ex Canadian Pacific # 972 on a fan trip over the L.H.R. There were many other excursions throughout the the 1900's. Those listed above were documented in Bob Pennisi's Northeast Railroad Scene Vol. 2: The Lehigh and Hudson River , which I highly recommend finding. :wink: And don't forget the famous June 4, 1960 100th Anniversary Train hosted by the L.H.R. themselves using 2 RS-3's and a Reading T-1, # 2124. I know Marty was lucky enough to ride that fantrip.I'm hoping to catch one someday on the remnants of the L.H.R. :P

#529467  by cjvrr

Railjourner,

Yes there will be another speeder trip on the line this year, already approved by the NYS&W and scheduled for October 18th and 19th.

We will be looking for help to flag crossings again, so as we have done in the past, if you flag crossings one day, you get to ride the speeders the other day. Its the only way to legally rde the NYS&W. The only hitches are you need to sign a release form and the railroad restricts attendees and helpers to 18 years of age an older.

Chris
 #687083  by Bradb14

Does anyone know the consist of the 1960 Centennial train. Passenger cars were Reading I think, am looking for the coach #'s, type of coach's, parlor,diner, observation etc? Also was it two different trains pulled by steam and diesel or one push/pull or something else? Thanks Bradb14
 #687264  by Marty Feldner

Bradb14 wrote:Does anyone know the consist of the 1960 Centennial train. Passenger cars were Reading I think, am looking for the coach #'s, type of coach's, parlor,diner, observation etc? Also was it two different trains pulled by steam and diesel or one push/pull or something else? Thanks Bradb14
Do a little looking on this (L&HR) forum. Most of your questions have been answered, in this thread:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... =88&t=3595

Each of the two sections was pulled by steam one way, diesel the other; everyone rode behind the 2124 for half of the round trip.

(Push/pull was an unknown concept in 1960...)