Railroad Forums 

• L&HR - The Next Generation?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#523528  by CAR_FLOATER

For those of you who don't frequent RF.net.........

Here's on for you "what-ifer's" -

Custom HO Lehigh And Hudson River Railway SD-40-2 Item number: 120218107246

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0218107246

Gasp! No more ALCO power on the L&H? I do have to say, it looks nicely done, and if I had $75 dollars to just drop, I'd buy it just to get my L&HR fan friends all in a uproar!

CF, rolling west on OA-3 with my SD-40-2.........?
Last edited by CAR_FLOATER on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

#523538  by njmidland

I have no problem with "what-if" models. However that blue is way too dark. You would have to assume that a post-1976 L&HR would have kept the same colors.

#523541  by CAR_FLOATER

njmidland wrote:I have no problem with "what-if" models. However that blue is way too dark. You would have to assume that a post-1976 L&HR would have kept the same colors.
Well, look at it this way - Like the LV, maybe they would have used whatever was left laying around the shop when it came time to paint something.......Or, EMD just plain screwed up!

That's why it's a "what-if"........

Would go nice along side the EL C40-8, and the LV SD-40T-2 that I've seen on eBay.........

CF

#523569  by njmidland

Well there may be a chance to do this for real. There is talk that Norfolk Southern might do a heritage program similar to the one Union Pacific did. You just might see a new EL, LV or even L&HR unit out there!

#523687  by Lehighton_Man

I would love to see a NS heritage program like the UP did, but im not counting on it.
For next Gen. L&HR i also painted up a GP38-2 No DB. I can post it here later on.
Next up?
L&HR C630 non DB :wink:
Cheers.
Sean

#523783  by rfalcone

Had someone not burned the bridge and had the L&H continued on, it seems logical that they would have stuck with Alco. Perhaps a few C628s or C630s would have been added to the stable.

It would be pretty cool to see one of those old Alcos in the same gray and blue livery.

#523834  by Otto Vondrak

It looks like whoever painted this model started with a stock Missouri Pacific six-axle. That would account for the dark blue and he chevrons on the nose. It's nice looking paint, but it doesn't look like L&HR to me. What about L&HR green?? Light gray and baby blue?

:-)

-otto-

#524615  by Lehighton_Man

Will this Wet your appetites for now Gentlemen...?
I do these when i get bored.. :)
Next Up?
C630...
after the Rutland GP35s and GP38s. :)

Cheers.
Sean
(see? Im useful XP)

#527173  by jmp883

While I liked the look of the SD-40-2, I agree...it just isn't 'right' looking.
That GP-38-2, however, looks right on. I do wonder about changing the white for L&HR gray, though.....

Always love to 'what if'...... :-D

#538358  by Paul Miller

Tim, would you be able to elaborate a little more on the possible Heritage Program offered by Norfolk Southern? Does this mean they will paint a newer engine to look like the former companies mentioned? What type of engine were they considering?

#539278  by washingtonsecondary

Paul Miller wrote:Tim, would you be able to elaborate a little more on the possible Heritage Program offered by Norfolk Southern? Does this mean they will paint a newer engine to look like the former companies mentioned? What type of engine were they considering?
I wouldn't put too much faith in it, and I don't mean what Tim said, as he is only reporting what has been said before. I've heard that NS CEO, Wick Moorman was asked at an employee Q&A about the possibility a heritage program. He said he'd be willing to think about it, and the railfan community has taken that to mean that there will be one.

Re:

#547746  by lvrr325

rfalcone wrote:Had someone not burned the bridge and had the L&H continued on, it seems logical that they would have stuck with Alco. Perhaps a few C628s or C630s would have been added to the stable.

It would be pretty cool to see one of those old Alcos in the same gray and blue livery.
Well, except for Alco exiting the locomotive business in 1969 and the bridge burned in 1974.

My bet would be on U23Bs or B23-7s if anything. Why? They're somewhat compatible with existing parts inventory (trucks, electrical gear). But it's also possible they'd have their own Alcos rebuilt through the GE program at Hornell.

The L&HR existing past 1976 or serving any purpose beyond that point is a whole other debate.
 #548297  by GOLDEN-ARM

Doesn't it seem more "realistic" in thinking the L&H would continue with four axle Alcos, picked up at bargain prices from Conjob? If not, I could see maybe some other 4 axles being purchased. (Geep 38's?) Those giant six axle locos seem a bit absurd, on such a small railroad, with dwindling traffic, and no monster grades to assault.......
 #548308  by Lehighton_Man

Good point G-A, then howabout a unit like the C620?
like a lengthened C420 with six axle trucks! And, i'll be nice to the imaginary MoW crews and add Hi-Ads instead of Tri-mounts. Let me get the M420 and then i'll start on the C620 kitbash and painting.
Cheers.
Sean