Railroad Forums 

• NEW BOOK: Tracking Down the L&HR: P'burg to Vernon

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#553314  by Otto Vondrak

I'm glad so many people have come forward with positive comments for Mr. Miller's work! I was at no point in time trying to discredit his work, and I think this was all a big misunderstanding that has taken on a life of its own. Sometimes the voiceless format of email does not communicate well and intentions can be misunderstood. I sincerely apologize as it appears I have offended many people here, including Mr. Miller and Mr. Heiss.

I'm really a nice guy in person. Anyway, back to our regular discussion...

-otto-
 #554484  by Paul Miller

A good friend of mine, David Rutan, has just released a new book. Dave is a contributing historian to my book and wrote the Andover chapter synopsis as well as supplying photos and tons of information. The title of his book is Sussex Branch Tales and is available here: http://books.cafepress.com/item/sussex- ... /281959517. Dave also maintains a Sussex Branch website: http://dlw-sussexbranch.com. He has some photos of L.&H.R. related material on this site. The book consists of 6 short stories written by Mr. Rutan. Its release date today coincides with the last day of passenger service on the Sussex Branch-July 10, 1966. As most of you are aware, the Sussex Branch intersected the L.&H.R. at Andover.I have not had the pleasure yet of reading the book, but I do have a copy ordered.
Dave and I have also had multiple conversations regarding a book similar to mine on the Sussex Branch, as we both tend to be "structural fans" of the railroads, and I'm sure he'll be contributing to the second LHR book New Milford to Maybrook.

For those who are interested in viewing my book but not purchasing, I have forwarded a copy to the Warwick Historical Society in Warwick, N.Y. I am also eventually planning on releasing copies to local libraries in towns that were traversed by the L.&H.R.
 #555032  by Railjourner

"For those who are interested in viewing my book but not purchasing, I have forwarded a copy to the Warwick Historical Society in Warwick, N.Y. I am also eventually planning on releasing copies to local libraries in towns that were traversed by the L.&H.R."

Thank you Mr Miller.

I didn't see that coming.
 #555792  by JJMDiMunno

Railjourner wrote:Its a freeware add on route for MS Train Sim by Richard Shirey and it is outstanding. Belvidere to Maybrook with part of the Sussex branch to Port Morris and the Hanford to Ogdensburg. I understand he's currently working on a 1947 version of the route. It can be downloaded at http://www.train-sim.com.
Not to get too far off topic from the new book, but Richard is in fact working on a 1947 version of the route, which will be superb - check out some screenshots of what's done so far at:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbts/showth ... p?t=272083

A surprisingly large quantity of the route is complete, though there's apparently much left to do. I didn't know that those screenshots were available until about 10 minutes ago.

The chancellor can split this into it's own topic if the discussion becomes much more involved.

Mike DiMunno
 #661995  by David

Paul Miller wrote:For those of you near northwest N.J., the Warren County Library in Belvidere now has 3 copies of my book. I'm currently working on the N.Y. portion. Hope everyone had a good Easter!
Paul
Hey Paul--When do you think you will have the book finished?--I will be up to New Jersey for the month of June and hope to get back up to the L&HR ROW. Mike DiMunno and Nick O'Sullivan will be joining me again. Hope to see you!
 #662032  by Paul Miller

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately, it probably won't come out until next year. I have a lot of hiking to do in N.Y. state, along with ongoing research and picture taking. Just went up to Maybrook R.R. museum last weekend, nice little place-plenty of pictures there.
Let me know when you're up in NJ, if i have time I'd love to join you guys for the LHR hikes.
Paul
 #773255  by Paul Miller

Hi Charlie....yes I still have copies of my book for sale. I am currently in the process of collecting pics and research for NY portion book. Probably won't be available until 2011 unless some miracle pics show up on my doorstep! it's been a little harder tracking down pics of NY stations but fun nonetheless! Thanks for asking... I always appreciate the interest in the L&HR. This year marks the 150th Anniversary!