Railroad Forums 

• Diagrams of Sterling Hill Mine, Lime Crest, Franklin?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#458933  by lehighandhudsonriver

I'm new to this. First time. Anybody know where I can find scaled track diagrams for the L&HR, specifically how Sterling Hill Mine tracks looked, or Lime Crest, or the Franklin switches leading to Ogdensburg? I'm designing a model railroad but cannot find the specifics. The old PRR has excellent interlocking diagrams, but I'm not modeling them.

#462370  by washingtonsecondary

Try this for limecrest/sparta junction. I don't know if the site has the other map your looking for. Might be a good idea to check it out.

http://www.gingerb.com/l&hr_sparta_jct_map.htm
 #743474  by LOUBRONXXMASON

I was looking through my stuff. Have a 1982 Track Chart Conrail. Lehigh Division. Phillipsburg up to somewhere near Sparta. Will see if it went through to Franklin when I get home. Will advise
 #743627  by LOUBRONXXMASON

Chart is Fountain Road, Franklin, at MP 35 through MP 72 at Belvidere and separately, Belvidere to Phillipsburg "Kent"; and Tower G to end of track PRR/ Belvidere
1982 Conrail Maint 'Program & Track Chart Eastern Region; Lehigh Divn.

Louis W
 #757250  by SooLineRob

Thanks for posting that, Mr Martin!

That's the first interlocking diagram of G I've seen with all original tracks in place; such as the L&H Westward Main Track.
 #757360  by chief

SooLineRob
I have L&h track plans for track plans from the RR . I know there is a couple from the mines.contact me at my e-mail
polkaradio@yahoo-com-------------------------------------Steve
 #757628  by CarterB

The Historic Aerials of 1931 seem to show the yard off the Bel Del up by 2nd St. but not the turntable a bit further north.

When was the turntable removed? and how long did that yard exist? Same question about the two sidings to the East of Mansfield St.
 #759704  by philipmartin

When was the turntable removed?
I used to walk the area almost daily, in the early 1960s, and I had no inkling that there had been a turntable there. The only thing there was the large wooden passenger station, and the freight agent's building.
 #760127  by Paul Miller

I believe the turntable you're referring to was actually the PRR's in Belvidere, they did have one by their station. The LHR did not have a turntable at Mansfield Street Station in Belvidere. Most of the LHR's turntables were retired and removed in the late 1950's at the end of steam. Something is telling me that the PRR's turntable was around until at least 1960, I believe I have a picture of the steamtrain on the 100th anniversary ride in 1960 sitting on the PRR's turntable in Belvidere waiting to be turned around. Marty might remember this.
 #760131  by CarterB

So the small yard and turntable were on the BelDel up by 2nd Street? Both yard and tt retired around 1960ish?
 #760160  by Paul Miller

yes , the turntable was up by 2nd street as well as PRR's yard, but the LHR did have a small yard at Mansfield street with a siding for the station and water tower, as well as a switch for a coal vendor Bedford and Niedermuller. About a mile up from Belvidere heading northeast towards Buttzville, the LHR had a few huge sidings (Oxford Sidings) where they would interchange coal with the PRR for delivery to Maybrook. The tracks around Mansfield Street station are still there yet, with a few hoppers on the tracks. The station is there as well. I think the PRR's Belvidere station burned down.
 #760174  by Paul Miller

You can see the beds where the ROW was, there's a mile marker, siding post foundations and some telegraph poles left, no track though. It's privately owned so I wouldn't just wander there. I got permission from the owners. They grow corn there. Hard to see from the road, even in the winter.
 #766319  by pumpers

CarterB wrote:The Historic Aerials of 1931 seem to show the yard off the Bel Del up by 2nd St. but not the turntable a bit further north.

When was the turntable removed? and how long did that yard exist? Same question about the two sidings to the East of Mansfield St.
The 1915 Sanborn insurance maps for Belvedere show a turntable just east of the main in the yard area, about 100 feet south of 2nd St., between the main and a creamery. The 1927 maps do not show the turntable -- however I'm not sure if it really was done away with, and another one was built which is the one referred to in 1960 (although I can't find another one on the maps), or if the mapmakers omitted it by accident.

JS