Railroad Forums 

• New to L&HR

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#379940  by JBnWaverly

I recently found this forum and find it a fantastic source of information and nostalgia. I grew up in around Lake Mohawk/Sparta in the 60-early 70's, so I frequently observed LHR activity in northern NJ. We later moved to Ohio, but my brother actually spent a summer working at Zinc mine in Ogdensburg, although I personally never got near the facility. I remeber waiting for April opening of fishing season and the time spent fishing Walkhill River near Sparta Junction. All activity at that time was long past, but had many fun times walking old right of way and climbing around bridges when fishing was slow! I do remeber our school bus stopping for trains at long-abandoned NYSW crossing marked by a set of aging crossbucks. I now read of the revitalized line hauling 2X stacks through this area! Over the years I have retained my interest in LHR, EL and CNJ in NJ. My dad used to drive us up to Port Jervis to train watch and to get a close up look at commuter E8s idling away the weekends near enginehouse. My biggest regret was my lack of a quality camera, so I have little in the way of images, just memories. I am now out in Colorado only 25 miles from UP "highway" across Neb/Wyoming, but would trade in a minute for a day at Port Jervis, or Marion, OH to watch a set of dirty ol EL F-7s grind past at 10 mph!

#380305  by Railjourner

Thanks for reminiscing about the L&HR JB and welcome to the forum! Its also one of my favs to read and study about. One of my biggest regrets is not actually having seen it in operation when I was younger. Not much in the way of video unfortunately, but the Morning Sun book on the L&H is full of great pics.

#380331  by the missing link

and of course the 2 carstens photo essays, l&hr east end- west end. not sure if they are out of print, but they're fairly recent so shouldn't be hard to find. those and the morning sun book, definite must haves.
welcome back. some of my earliest memories were dippin' for sunnies under a railroad bridge too. even more fun when something went over! :wink:

#381423  by JBnWaverly

Thanks for the book links. I ordered the Morning Sun Book yesterday. It looks like it will be great reference.

#414297  by Tadman

I'm also new to the L&HR branch of the hobby - it's a small road far away and before my time, so it was never much on the radar screen. However, a bored afternoon changed that, and now I think the L&HR is a neato little road, and a shame we lost it.