Railroad Forums 

• L&HR Power

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#14042  by nysw3636

Did any Lehigh and Hudson River locomotives ever cross over the Poughkeepsie RR Bridge???? Just curious...

ASD

#14117  by wess

Would you be referring to a pooling arrangement?, it would seem possible. But I,m not the person to say. Marty can you answer this one or would you know of someone who can?, I,m intersted too.
joe

#47102  by wess

It seems this question got left hanging. I think it would have been interesting to see shots of L&H power coming into Poughkeepsie, especially on the bridge. So I,m going to go ahead and put this thread forward and see if there is still life in this forum :-D

#79724  by Don

Going thru some slides today, I came across some shots of C420 26 in Buffalo NY back in 72'. Not sure of what RR it came in on as the unit was by itself.
Don

#80147  by wess

It may have been leased out to the Lehigh Valley if it was in Buffalo. I remember they had had to dispose of some of the C-420,s after the bridge burned.
 #90176  by Marty Feldner

Somehow, I missed this thread til now- sorry, guys.

Last question first: C-420's 25 and 26 were sold to the British Columbia Railway in July 1972. You probably caught the 26 in transit, on its way to the Pacific northwest.

As far as power going beyond Maybrook, I don't think it ever happened. I seem to remember somebody (Henry Tulip?) saying that crews were informally told to keep an eye on both locomotives and cabooses while in Maybrook. The fear was if anything strayed onto the New Haven beyond Maybrook, the L&HR might never see it again (especially in later years).

(There are still a few veterans around I can ask about this to be sure- if I hear anything different, I'll post it.)
 #173241  by trainwayne1

While recently sorting thru a mountain of slides that were my Dad's, I found a couple that were taken in the early 60's at the Warwick shops. The first was of a pair of blue and gray D&H RS-2 (3?)s coupled to an L&H RS unit, and the second was of a pair of CNJ Trainmasters sitting in front of the shops next to L&H Alcos. I think I would be safe to say that the D&H units were most likely leased, but I wondered if the CNJ Trainmasters were leased or perhaps "run-thru" from Allentown?