Railroad Forums 

• What's left around Greycourt and Maybrook?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#96812  by NJ Vike

Here's one of my excursions to Maybrook. I highly recommend the trip. There's also a small train museum there but it contains plenty of information and a few knowledgeable people who worked for the railroads up there.

Here's a link to my trip. I hope you enjoy it:

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 8;start=20
 #103578  by gawlikfj

Thank You everyone for the info and pictures of the beautiful series from Greycourt to Maybrook.
It was done like a professional. I've been to Maybrook yard a few times and enjoyed reliving what is left.
Thank You Everyone.
Frank
 #103644  by gawlikfj

Only these railroads served Maybrook, The New Haven which owned the yards, Lehigh & Hudson River, Erie,L&NE, O&W.
If you walked toward Yellow Freight and halfway down yellow freight on your right was the shell of the Icehouse all covered in trees & shrubs and grass.
Its hard to believe in 31 years how fast the trees & shrubs can grow and cover the largest yard in the East.
 #104078  by gawlikfj

I received my copy of the book Images of America Walden and Maybrook and it is real good showing how these places looked many years ago. I highly recommend it ,especially after this great series of the Lehigh & Hudson River .

#104155  by NJ Vike

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken

#144120  by David Hutchinson

Is the Administration Building in the photos the old YMCA or is it the "office" building, as it is marked in the TRAINS issue a few months ago, that was on the east side of the westbound yard area? Anyone know who owns this building?
 #150233  by gawlikfj

The Administration building is North of the icehouse .That too is just a shell being concrete. Not sure who owns it.
The YMCA burnt down in the 1970's but the gym is used as a karate school.

#150283  by David Hutchinson

The Administration Building, as I have just found out, is part of about (740) acres that the Imperatore's (of A-P-A Trucking fame) own. It is now under development. Should be house and condos in a few years. Everyone involved are aware of the town's railroad future and plan on incorporating items that will reflect this.

#150377  by David

David Hutchinson wrote: Everyone involved are aware of the town's railroad future and plan on incorporating items that will reflect this.

David, can you explain a little more about this comment---Thanks

#163980  by charlie6017

NJ Vike wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken
You can never have too many good railroad books to read! :-D

#164164  by NJ Vike

charlie6017 wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I think I will purchase a copy even though I still have many books to read.

Ken
You can never have too many good railroad books to read! :-D
Charlie,

This is true. Just when I think I have read most RR books, out come more or ones that are out of print that I find necessary.

Ken