Railroad Forums 

• Train ID?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1336690  by Statkowski

A few years back (late 1966) I rode an L&HR freight from Maybrook, N.Y. to Allentown, Pa. Was wondering what the train designation was. Departed Maybrook in the morning, got to Allentown in the dark. I had my NYNH&H pass.

Tried for an engine ride, but they said too many eyes on the ground in Warwick, so I rode in the caboose (hack? cabin car?). We had a layover of some sort in Warwick (crew change?), got stopped along the way in a white-out, stopped at Belvedire to check the seals on a spotted car of liquor, and everyone hopped off the caboose as we pulled into Allentown Yard (now under Lehigh Valley control). The L&HR crew put me up at the railroad Y, and even had my name entered on the call board for the next CNJ run to Jersey City.

Just wondering what the L&HR train designation was.
 #1346123  by philipmartin

OA-1, HO-6 ? My memory is vague.
There is a thread on this here if you Google it.
 #1346392  by jmchitvt

That would have been NE-3 departing Maybrook 9:15am.
New Haven connections were NO-31 and BO-1.

Joseph Meyers
 #1346535  by Statkowski

Bingo! It just happens the train I arrived on in Maybrook was BO-1.

That day I rode HB-8 from Harlem River to New Haven, nonstop, caught a light engine move up to Cedar Hill, then caught BO-1 from Cedar Hill to Maybrook, another nonstop run.

L&HR NO-3 was not nonstop (already described).

The early morning CNJ freight with SD-35s to Jersey City was also a nonstop run.

Not bad for a New Haven employee's pass.
 #1346665  by philipmartin

Statkowski wrote:
Not bad for a New Haven employee's pass.
I beat you. I went to the West Coast and back on a PRR New York Division pass (good between New York and Philly,)
many, many years ago. I even rode Greyhound in the Oakland area; the driver was from a different Greyhound company, and he didn't know if they took Pennsy passes on that line; so he carried me.
But the L&H guys were the nicest guys.