Railroad Forums 

• Trackside signs

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1284639  by sputnik801

Questions about signage. I have what is supposedly an L&HR aluminum speed sign. It mounts at a 45 degree angle to the post. There is just a shadow of the 40 (mph) left. What colors was it and was it reflectorized? Was it painted or did they use another vinyl colored covering? At first I was not going to keep it as it is a "newer" sign and not cast iron. But my 12 year old son made such a valid point. He asked me, when have you seen one before and will you ever see on again? When I realized the answer to both questions was "never", I decided to restore it for my boy to hang on the wall.

I know that the bridge numbers were painted on bridges that had side structures. Am I correct to assume that the numbers were the miles to Maybrook over the 100ths of a mile in-between mileposts? Did the L&HR use stand alone signs for smaller bridges that had no sides? My boys and I hike the southern section of the L&HR from time to time and we come up with these questions.

And not post specific, and I'm sure he'll read it, but Paul Millers book is well liked by my boys & I!