Railroad Forums 

• New Jersey Zinc - Steam Era - Mid 40's ?

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1257637  by scottb613

Hi Folks,

RE: Steam Era - Mid 40's

I had noted a comment on that "gingerb" site mentioning a large volume of traffic going from New Jersey Zinc in Franklin to Allentown on the L&HR... Question - what kind of freight cars would be seen in and around Franklin to support this zinc operation ? Covered hoppers didn't start until a bit later - right ? Some type of open ore car ? Would the transport from the mines use a different type of car from the ones going to Allentown ? Did NJZ have their own company locomotives and freight cars to move all their loads around Franklin ??? I'd gladly take any information on how the zinc operation was performed... There was a mine up the hill from Franklin on the Lackawana branch - so the ore was all consolidated in Franklin then shipped off somewhere else for processing ???

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott
 #1257975  by njtrainspotter

Zinc was always handled in covered hopper cars. The earlier ones were smaller, similar to ones out on the Missabe Range, only with wooden roofs put on by L&HR. First L&H ore cars were built about 1915, last ones in the 40's. Same cars from mine tipple went to Palmerton. NJZ had some cars but no power, all work done by L&HR. Daily train would start at Warwick, go down to Franklin to do switching, then return. Another train would pick up the ore cars as it went west. Some open hoppers were also used for other stuff. In later years former cement covered hopper cars from other railroads were used. Mine generally shipped 8-12 cars per day. There was never any zinc traffic on Lackawanna.
 #1283521  by woodsie

The Reading Shops built # 1900 to 1919 for Spring 1940 delivery 70 T capy 26'9 x 7"7 x 10 ' high

The CNJ Shops built # 2000 to 2019, 1948 delivery 70 T capy 25'6 x 8' x 10 '11

I doubt any survived the cutting torch. There are O scale and HO scale models available.
 #1303398  by pumpers

How exactly did the cars get to Palmerton?
Was it an LHR trains that pulled the cars west - and from where and how far? To CNJ Bethlehem yard (using the LHR bridge over the Delaware, I presume)?
Did CNJ pull them from there to Palmerton as part of a Bethlehem local?

Jim S