Railroad Forums 

• Island Park Dragway/Former LHR Great Meadows

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1148095  by Paul Miller

Rumor has it that Island Park Dragway in Great Meadows has shut down for good. The land that it sits on was formerly owned by the LHR, and was used as a turning wye for the steam era. In 1962, Ed Kowalik purchased the property and converted it into a drag strip. Many stories have been told of race cars crashing through the barrier at the end of the strip and landing on or near the LHR tracks. In 1964, Don Garlits made the first officially recognized 200 mph run in drag racing history there.
 #1148379  by NYS&W142Fan

Paul Miller wrote:Rumor has it that Island Park Dragway in Great Meadows has shut down for good. The land that it sits on was formerly owned by the LHR, and was used as a turning wye for the steam era. In 1962, Ed Kowalik purchased the property and converted it into a drag strip. Many stories have been told of race cars crashing through the barrier at the end of the strip and landing on or near the LHR tracks. In 1964, Don Garlits made the first officially recognized 200 mph run in drag racing history there.
Paul,
The wye you peak of was originally just to the West of the drag strip. Part of the drag strip is built on the East/North leg of the wye. I was there one evening when a car went off the end of the strip and landed on the tracks. Was quite a frantic rush to get the car off the tracks. It is a shame we are losing the Strip.
 #1149715  by jmp883

Island Dragway.....it's been years since I've heard that name. My friend and I used to run a car in the NHRA Modified-Stock class back in the early 1980's. Island Dragway was a great place to race. I wasn't quite as railroad-aware back then as I am now and didn't know that the track was built on part of the L&HR. Had I known that I would have spent more time scoping out the railroad history in the area than I would have spent in the pits keeping our car running between rounds!

It would be a shame if Island is closing down for good. I spent many great weekends there racing. Unlike Englishtown it was easy to get in and out of and was never crowded.
 #1168469  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I too grew up with both the L&HR and Island Dragway. I first remember the L&HR in Belvidere when we used to go to old Doc McDonald.I could haer the horns from my home on Montana Mountain when air was right. Also could hear the EL in Washington form there too. I also saw it along 46 between Butzville and Great Meadows. I first went to the track in 1980. By then traffic on the L&HR was all but done.They were having the 20th Anniversary event that night and told stories of cars not stopping and landing on the tracks.I remember when they tore the tracks out.
 #1195039  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Great news for all of us fans of drag racing at Island Dragway. It WILL be re-opening on July 5.
Unfortunately the L&HR won't be coming back. I see the Anthracite newslettter has been doing stories on the L&HR. A friend gave me his copy,knowing I am such a L&HR fan. Great stuff in there.
 #1269038  by CNJ Fan 4evr

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:Great news for all of us fans of drag racing at Island Dragway. It WILL be re-opening on July 5.
Unfortunately the L&HR won't be coming back. I see the Anthracite newslettter has been doing stories on the L&HR. A friend gave me his copy,knowing I am such a L&HR fan. Great stuff in there.
My error above. It was the Lehigh Valley chapter that ran the L&HR series in their Lehigh Lines newsletter. GREAT stuff.
 #1269529  by Paul Miller

CNJ FAN-the only picture I've ever seen is the one I used in my book. It's at the Belvidere Public Library. Otherwise, try historic aerials. They have pictures of it since 1931, got abandoned around 1962 if I remember correctly. You can use Alphano Road, Great Meadows as a reference when punching in an address. Happy searching! lots to see yet.