• North Church Road Viaduct Over L.H.R. at Franklin Removed

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by Paul Miller

The North Church Road viaduct over the old L.H.R. at Franklin has recently been dismantled and removed to make way for a new bridge. The viaduct was a steel superstructure built between 1927-1928 by the McClintic-Marshall Company to eliminate 4 grade crossings near the N.J. Zinc Company. In recent years it had been subject to extreme rusting and subsequent degradation. At one point, a covered stairway existed from the viaduct above to the L.H.R.'s Franklin Station below at grade level. The 2 pictures below were taken at approximately the same spot showing before and after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Marty Feldner

Another L&HR 'landmark' bites the dust. Inevitable, but a shame nonetheless.

What it looked like- April 1974, from the caboose platform of that evening's NE-3:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Paul Miller

Ah, there's that covered stairwell leading to the infamous Franklin Station....thanks Marty! apparently, from what I've heard, the new bridge will be completed around January 2014. I guess the thing that's good is that the construction of yesteryear lasted over 80 years.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

A piece of my history going down. I remember passing over that bridge on a 4th grade class trip to the mines and a L&HR train came right under our bus. That was cool!