Railroad Forums 

• Singer Sewing Machine facility that use to exist in Warwick

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

#1095930  by walterconklin

Hello,

Does anyone know approximately when the the Singer Sewing Machine facility that use to be in Warwick started to receive rail shipments? Why I am inquiring is because the railroad project that I am involved in that my colleagues are building for the Microsoft Train Simulator platform is loosely set during the late 1920s to the early 1950s. I read on the forum a reference by Paul Miller that the Singer Sewing Machine facility received shipments via rail in 1964. Given the setting of the project, I wonder if I should include a representation of the Singer Sewing Machine facility on the virtual route...

Sincerely,
Walter Conklin
 #1098147  by walterconklin

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the very helpful information.

Do you or anyone else know if Singer was the first business that occupied the facility in Warwick? If Singer was not the first occupant, do you know what was the type and name of the business that first occupied the facility? Do you know when the facility was built?

Again, Thank you for your time and for the invaluable help you have provided.

Sincerely,
Walter
 #1098193  by walterconklin

Hello Paul and all,

After I posted my first message for today in this thread, I received an email reply from Cathryn Anders, lead archivist at the Warwick Historical Society, that she could not find any references in a 1964 Warwick Telephone book to Singer Sewing having a facility in Warwick.
 #1152631  by Tadman

Singer had plants in Jersey, Indiana, and Illinois. Hence their shortline was known as the NJ,I,&I, despite only having trackage in Indiana. It was created to afford the Indiana plant access to the Wabash, because it was felt that the PRR and NYC weren't giving good rates. Later the shortline became a subsidiary of Wabash. When NS took over Conrail, it was torn up as the plant was long gone and NS had new access to town.

Not LH&R, but an interesting story for those interested in Singer operations.