Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern's LV Heritage Unit - revised!

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#1053496  by Franklin Gowen

Breaking news, folks: Norfolk Southern has accepted financial contributions from members of the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society in order to repaint the nose of the already-recently-painted Lehigh Valley-liveried heritage unit. Anecdotal accounts I've read seem to indicate that these changes were motivated by the ARHS, who not only put up their own cash for this effort but also had the official LVRR blueprints to get 'er done right.

I can't yet determine whether this was an official or unofficial venture, but my understanding leans towards the latter (certain members making contribution$ personally in a private capacity; corrections welcomed). If so, that's some serious dedication.

Of note are not only the revised "rippling" flags on either side of the nose, but also wide LV-style safety striping on the front end itself and a much larger LV diamond herald. The opposite end now has a new diamond, too.

I find it fascinating that NS consented to make this locomotive even more appealing to those of us who bleed Cornell Red. It'll probably go down in history as the one NS heritage unit that was "LV'd" not once, but twice. Check it out for yourself. :-D
 #1053523  by jrevans

They did an excellent job on the revisions. I hope that I get to see this unit in person someday.

Very interesting that the ARHS contributed funds for the rework. Talk about putting your money where your mouth is!

Great job NS and ARHS!
 #1053563  by lvrr325

I could not believe when I saw this unit in photos that after all the care they did to get others right, this one looked worse than even low-end train set locomotives from the 1970s, and didn't match the artwork released initially either.

The side lettering is completely wrong; the numbers aren't quite right; and as initially done the end diamonds had yellow stripes around them instead of the correct white. And yes, the nose diamond looked oddly small.

Given you can buy decals that are correct in multiple scales I would have thought it relatively simple to just buy a set and copy the artwork in full size as needed to get the unit lettered.

At least some of it is getting redone so it looks less like a toy and more like an effort was put into it.
 #1053727  by Franklin Gowen

A railfan photo gallery here shows the evolution of the LV heritage unit's livery, including some scenic action shots of it in revenue service. Enjoy!